Thread: customized my backrest

customized my backrest

Well after seeing what Gordy1 did to make his adjustable backrest rigid it made me take a better look at mine. Figured out what to do, took measurements and put my dad to work haha.
    Its a varilite icon back. We removed all of the adjustable hardware, twisted the main brackets in, drilled it out, bolted it together. Its in the same exact position that it was before but without all the extra junk in the way. I can tell a pretty big difference in how solid my chair feels without the play of the adjustable hardware. Just guessing from lifting the extra pieces I probably took off almost 1/2 pound. My chair is 31.5 all together.

before...

AFTER...

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Nice job Wills!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Wow it looks great!!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Nice work! It looks much more streamlined.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks guys.
    It made my chair feel more rigid and idk if its just in my head or what but it felt easier pushing up my sidewalk today. The old setup had a pretty lot of play due to the quick release set up so maybe some of that was soaking up my pushes going up hill. Every single time I would take a zip up hoody off one of the pockets would get hung up on the hardware but not anymore. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner until I saw what Gordy1 did... Thanks!
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2

Really nice Wills77. Looks like you have a good fit. We are also opting for a seat back placed higher like that (ADI), but I am still not sure about fixed or quick release.

I like making the seat back a statement like what you have done also. I'm looking into how we can make changeable images on an an ADI back, something similar to this: Any one try Oltre chair back? I think I found the right stuff to do it on our own, but have not tried it yet.

BTW, what does Wills77 mean?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have a Jay 3 back, and I'm going to be changing out the fabric on the back for something custom and making a matching calf strap from the same fabric. I just haven't found the perfect fabric in my price range yet. I got the idea after seeing the custom fabric backs on colours chairs.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Really nice Wills77. Looks like you have a good fit. We are also opting for a seat back placed higher like that (ADI), but I am still not sure about fixed or quick release.

I like making the seat back a statement like what you have done also. I'm looking into how we can make changeable images on an an ADI back, something similar to this: Any one try Oltre chair back? I think I found the right stuff to do it on our own, but have not tried it yet.

BTW, what does Wills77 mean?

Thanks! I had the adjustable hardware set up as high as it would go and kept that same height with the rigid mount. Its not as high as it looks in the pictures.
    I've always been big into personalizing my stuff. I just added more stickers to my backrest and side guards tonight. You could probably have whatever image you want printed out on vinyl then stick that to the backrest. I also thought about getting a airbrush to try something simple on mine like flames or checkers.
    My last name is Wills and 77 is my number when I raced motocross.
    Heres a picture of the added stickers and one showing how high it comes up my back. (sorry
    its the only one I have with me in it with the new back set up haha)

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2

i like these backs. specially the mount on the back bar. i'm c/6/7 and like about 15" high solid backs.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    i like these backs. specially the mount on the back bar. i'm c/6/7 and like about 15" high solid backs.
    Mine is 14inches tall measuring from my seat pan to the top of the backrest. I use a roho high profile cushion.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2