Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: 2GX Seat saddle clamps / brake conflict

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    That is folding, but brake is on "rigid" part of frame. They should be same location across from each other. The frame is desinged t o account for 1 cross ahead of the other and the fold. That is the way is keeps left-side of frame basically mirror of right. If this is new and under warranty MAKE vendor or Tilite correct. If you need help, I will be more then happy to help. I do not like when people receive things like this. Especially with the cost people pay for.

  2. #12
    Senior Member ~Lin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,070
    I'd say yes the frame is designed to account for it, and that's exactly the problem. The location of the holes drilled for the crossbraces are not a mirror image due to the frame accounting for one crossbrace in front.

    Its not a new chair, it was purchased used.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    Since used, you should be able use the suggestion I made a few back where not tighten securely, but enough to hold and then keep playing/adjusting positioning until you like. Only tighten 1 of those screws to hold it to do the playing and even not so tight you cannot move with your hand.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    Just an FYI...those brakes, at least for me, wear out quickly and continually need adjusting. The O-ring washer you need be extrememly careful how much yuu tighten or you will squash them out. Another thing, if screws/bolts get loose there or anywhere else simply buy thread tape at a hardware store before buying new brakes.

  5. #15
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,222
    I have tried flipping the brake vertically to the other two holes with no luck. I appreciate the suggestion though. It appears that the seat saddle is exactly in the wrong position, regardless of which way it is flipped.

    We have been contemplating a slight COG change, and I think it's probably worth it for me to try it and see if I can get a brake position that works with the COG adjusted.

    I still can't figure out why they placed one side of the seat saddle so far back.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastRando View Post
    You might want to try moving the brake to the other two holes. In this picture, move the brake from the holes circled in blue to the holes circled in green. This way you can mount the brake on the other side of the saddle clamps.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  6. #16
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,222
    @Lin, You are correct. The seat saddle clamp is the same difference from the Rigid Folding Mechanism (RFM). So that does explain the mystery of the drilled/screw whole placement being different, so at least I know that is not a fault.

    Unfortunately, it still leaves me with trying to sort out the brakes -- ugh! I'm also having to juggle this during times my husband is not in the chair, like now at 10:30 p.m., so hopefully I will get some late night inspiration after a long day of work and caregiving.

    And yes, you are correct, that this is a used chair. Good memory!


    QUOTE=~Lin;1617231]I think I know why they're in different positions. This is a folding chair correct? With the crossbars that form the X to fold one bar has to be in front of the other, resulting in one attaching more forward. For them to attach to the frame in the exact same distance the bars would have to be bent. Is the difference between the attachments the same as the width of the crossbars?[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by elarson; 11-21-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  7. #17
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,222
    Although the brake is on the rigid part of the frame, the seat saddle is also on the rigid part of the fgrame. Now that Lin brought it to my attentions the reason for the difference in placement, I definitely do not think this is any type of fault. I think we are just a bit unlucky with where we need the brakes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    That is folding, but brake is on "rigid" part of frame. They should be same location across from each other. The frame is desinged t o account for 1 cross ahead of the other and the fold. That is the way is keeps left-side of frame basically mirror of right. If this is new and under warranty MAKE vendor or Tilite correct. If you need help, I will be more then happy to help. I do not like when people receive things like this. Especially with the cost people pay for.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  8. #18
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,222
    I'm probably wearing them out more then just a little right now . Thanks for the tip.

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Just an FYI...those brakes, at least for me, wear out quickly and continually need adjusting. The O-ring washer you need be extrememly careful how much yuu tighten or you will squash them out. Another thing, if screws/bolts get loose there or anywhere else simply buy thread tape at a hardware store before buying new brakes.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  9. #19
    Senior Member ~Lin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,070
    You can also use loctite (blue) if you have any issues. I recently removed the brakes from my chair because some of the screws were rusting at the top. I think the humidity over the summer did it, I removed the rust once but it came back quickly. So I removed the rusty fasteners, soaked in lime away, then sprayed them with plasti-dip. I'm hoping it prevents more corrosion, but at the least it looks better visually as the black fasteners blend in with the black brakes. Anyway I noticed they had loctite on them when removed. I didn't have any loctite but what was on there wasn't removed so I hope they stay tight!

    I know you're in Europe but I'm assuming there should be the same stuff available if under a different name. And yes sometimes I have a great memory haha. I have a photographic memory, but have developed memory issues over time. So now it seems to be all or nothing. I remember reading about the chair being shipped to you by your friend taking it on the plane, and can still see the photos of it all bubble wrapped.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

  10. #20
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,222
    Hi Lin, You are making me smile as I try to do yet another adjustment on the chair. I'm giving the brakes a rest, and decided on a simple task of adjusting the sideguards. Of course, one screw of 12 is being a real bastard. It is soaking in DW40 as I write, and of course the puppy tried to eat a few of them.

    And yes you do have a great memory, it was the bubble wrapped chair a friend brought over -- The travelling wheelchair. I wish I knew how to find loctite (blue) and plasti-dip in Dutch (I am a yank). You can't imagine how much time I spend on translation of tool stuff, sizes, etc, and I don't even know where to begin with that. I'll figure it out or hopefully will have another kind hearted soul visiting soon who will bring it over.

    I have a very strange wish list for US stuff after being an expat 20 years (refried beans, SAE wrenches, underpants, loctite, Levi's, plasti-dip, Butterfinger candy bars, LizardSkins, hot as hell hot sauce, etc.).

    Hope you enjoy a nice Thanksgiving (I think that is tomorrow?). Pleeeease, if there is pumpkin pie, enjoy a piece for me -- another thing to add to my expat list!

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    You can also use loctite (blue) if you have any issues. I recently removed the brakes from my chair because some of the screws were rusting at the top. I think the humidity over the summer did it, I removed the rust once but it came back quickly. So I removed the rusty fasteners, soaked in lime away, then sprayed them with plasti-dip. I'm hoping it prevents more corrosion, but at the least it looks better visually as the black fasteners blend in with the black brakes. Anyway I noticed they had loctite on them when removed. I didn't have any loctite but what was on there wasn't removed so I hope they stay tight!

    I know you're in Europe but I'm assuming there should be the same stuff available if under a different name. And yes sometimes I have a great memory haha. I have a photographic memory, but have developed memory issues over time. So now it seems to be all or nothing. I remember reading about the chair being shipped to you by your friend taking it on the plane, and can still see the photos of it all bubble wrapped.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
  2. Sideguard Clamps for a TiLite ZRA
    By douglastneidermeyer in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 04:15 PM
  3. ADI Brake Disk Brake System
    By WahWah in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM
  4. Brake handles under w/c seat
    By Gary's Mom in forum Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 11:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •