Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fastest way to warm up my body?

Echo the hearing pad but rolled up and under my neck ... a timer is important as I did burn myself on one before.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

thanks all... I do many of these as well. I put my blankets in the dryer to get them warm, throw towels in the microwave for 10-20 seconds and place them on my head & chest... even doing things like this, I'll actually get colder sometimes.
    I'll be cold, take my temperature and get something like 97.4... after 2 hours of trying to warm myself up I'll take it again... sometimes it won't have budged and often it will actually drop more before finally starting to come back up

Be very careful with heating pads or those microwaved feed corn/rice sacks. I have seen bad burns from both, esp. if applied to areas where you do not have sensation, and I have a news article about a woman who started a house fire with one of the feed bags.

Hot water bottles and electric blankets are equally problematic.

We got my mother a towel warmer a number of years ago. Her PCA would put a blanket in it before she got ready for bed, and then put this blanket under the down comforter over the sheets. It was very nice. Of course you can also use it to warm towels for when you get out of the shower:

http://www.amazon.com/Interactive-Gr...3430658&sr=1-5

In bed, flannel sheets and a down comforter are helpful (use a duvet as the top sheet...ideally flannel as well). A stocking cap and wearing long underwear also help, as can down booties.

Consider fingerless gloves and leg warmers when out of bed, and wear long underwear as well. Preventing getting chilled in the first place will help a lot for people with body temperature control issues, like many with SCI.

(KLD)

Snuggies for when you're up... and then microfleece sheets in bed. Couldn't live without my fuzzy sheets in winter; they're just like a polar fleece sweatshirt. Giant socks too, in bed and out.

wchair, given the additional information I think you need to be warmed from the inside out. I keep some spiced cider around during the cold weather. I take about 3/4 of a mug of the cider and heat it in the microwave until it is hot and fill the rest of the mug with rum. After a few sips, it only takes 5-10 minutes until I feel the warmth from the alcohol doing its fast burnoff. And so good!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

i am getting some shipping boots for horses the are fleecs line with velcro put around my lower legs as those legwarms are so hard to get on

I can't think of anything to add. Let us know if any of these help you.
    CKF

I have days that I just can't warm up! In fact, this past Sunday was one of them! Even though every one else was wearing short sleeves, I was in long sleeves and a coat and was still freezing. I had company all day long and just kept getting colder and colder, even my nose was like ice!!! Once everyone finally left I took a hot bath, dressed in my footed jammies (like the ones for babies) with socks on under the jammies, drank some hot coffee, and used a heating pad to warm my hands.

I did fall asleep on a heating pad once years ago and woke to a stinging in my side the next morning. I reached down to rub it and my hand came up wet...I had a NASTY burn that had blistered and by rubbing it I popped the blister. It was a 4 inch long blister, 6 inch long burn....I still have the scar. I'm VERY careful with a heating pad now and always use one that shuts off by itself.
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

I never use heating pads including one with the timer my husband got me after I pulled a back muscle. No real burns but those microwavable gel packs can have serious hot spots in them or they can spring leaks. I use the Dreamtime shoulder wraps filled with something smaller than rice. I take the heavy velvet cover off ever 2 or 3 weeks and send it through the wash. I buy new ones when I smell any burned odor after the normal 2 minute nukes or the follow up 1 minute nukes. Yes, the stuff does finally croak. If you know someone who can sew save the inner bag and have a friend make up a new inside bag filled with almost any non-oil producing seed type material. Rice works well. Corn will go rancie quickly or start fires because of the oil content.
    When I wrap my heat pack around my ankles while watching TV it is over my jeans and socks. I know I am the most cold if I get in bed with icey feet or legs. As I lay there that cold blood slowly moves on up to the heart and the teeth chattering starts. So yes, very big on warm socks like ragg cotton or wool. LL Bean has great knee highs in fine wool so no excess bulk if seams cause problems. Silk long johns do help, are thin and breath. Many places carry them but this is where I first saw them and now they carry other warm but professional style clothing. And yes, I am looking at the taller styles of those unmentionable sherling lined thingsd for my feet again..
    Hot herb tea also helps. Or hot spiced wine but technically it closes down some arteries to the skin or something so it can make you feel colder if you sober up before getting into a nice warm place.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by TINAMARIE View Post
    I have days that I just can't warm up! In fact, this past Sunday was one of them! Even though every one else was wearing short sleeves, I was in long sleeves and a coat and was still freezing. I had company all day long and just kept getting colder and colder, even my nose was like ice!!! Once everyone finally left I took a hot bath, dressed in my footed jammies (like the ones for babies) with socks on under the jammies, drank some hot coffee, and used a heating pad to warm my hands. .
    yes, I totally understand this, what always amazes me is when the room temperature is something like 85 and I'm wearing flannel lineed pants, a snuggie and a hat and still get cold