Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Snowboard With Outriggers?

Anybody Snowboard With Outriggers?

Anybody out there snowboarding? I want to give it a go this winter. I was big into it before got hurt. I crutch walk and feel like I would be able to do it with outriggers. I am going to hit the local hill for adaptive lessons but was looking to see if anyone on here has any experience with it.

I was a former adaptive snowboarder. Most of my former teammates have ditched outriggers because they are a pain in the ass. Either they find their own way to adapt to snowboarding or they become monoskiers. It really depends on your goals though. Do you want to free ride or return to/learn park and pipe? I found park and pipe in a mono far more enjoyable than trying to be a standup adaptive rider, As fate would have it, I sustained my sci as an adaptive snowboarder and then was forced to monoski.

I love being pain free, able to keep up with anybody on the hill and having enough stamina at the end of the day to go out.

You do not put your weight on your riggers-so they are different than your forearm crutches. They will not hold you up. They might help you to skate to the lift though.

If you do decide to use them, you will likely need to rotate the lower tubing (and drill) to have the ski face the correct position while snowboarding.

I am not saying that it can't/shouldn't be done but you might find that it is not the freeing experience you imagine.

BTW-you can attach a snowboard to a mono-but given that you are an east coaster you may find that the trails are not really wide enough for turning comfort. I rode a mono with a snowboard quite a bit (In NH). It is not suitable for park and pipe though. I will try and find some pics.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Thanks for the response. I could tell that it is a popular sport by how many folks chimed in. I was thinking I would use the outriggers for balance mostly. That is how I use the crutches unless I am hiking.

I am mostly interested in free riding. I used to hit the park some, but rarely the half pipe. Mainly try to surf the mountain.

I have heard many suggest that I try mono skiing on other sites. I am not opposed to it and may find myself there. It looks like a blast. I am going to give snowboarding a go. If it turns out to be too much work and not enough reward I will switch.

Please post pics if you find them.

Yeah, don't be opposed to monoskiing!! :-) It's great. I ski with a woman with incomplete paraplegia who alternates between skiing and snowboarding (with 'riggers). She will snowboard when she's feeling strong and looking for a leisurely time down the mountain. She monoskis when she wants to haul ass!

I was in Breckenridge this year at the awesome Hartford event. KBG and other monoski manufacturers are starting to play around with mega-wide big-mountain skis with lots of sidecut. They give you more of a carving/freeriding kind of feel which is super fun! You might check that out if you decide to try the mono.

Aside from it looking different from other people, there's really only one persistent annoyance with the mono, which is loading onto the chairlift. It's easily mastered 99% of the time, but every once in a while even the best skiier can get messed up when he least expects it. I used to growl at the lifties when they tried to help, but these days I'm less obsessed with showing the world I'm as good as an AB person and more obsessed with avoiding shoulder injury, so I've started asking them for a "pull-back" just to guarantee I'm well-situated on the chair. At the resorts I frequent, they've gotten used to me and do it with a smile and without being asked. I think it breaks up the monotony of their day a bit.

Board or ski - the only bad option is to stay at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    I am mostly interested in free riding. I used to hit the park some, but rarely the half pipe. Mainly try to surf the mountain.

I have heard many suggest that I try mono skiing on other sites. I am not opposed to it and may find myself there. It looks like a blast. I am going to give snowboarding a go. If it turns out to be too much work and not enough reward I will switch.

Please post pics if you find them.

So nice to have choices

It is very nice to have choices. I am stoked anyway I go. Mono looks like a blast and I would be happy to learn. I will probably give that a go and may end up doing both. Lets face it. I will most likely be done snowboarding after one run.

We are expecting some snow in the mountains here this weekend. My friend and are going to plan an excursion to Round Top to test the waters over the next couple weeks.

Let us know how it goes!

It is very nice to have choices. I am stoked anyway I go. Mono looks like a blast and I would be happy to learn. I will probably give that a go and may end up doing both. Lets face it. I will most likely be done snowboarding after one run.

We are expecting some snow in the mountains here this weekend. My friend and are going to plan an excursion to Round Top to test the waters over the next couple weeks.

I went last week. Snowboarding is totally doable. When I was struggling with technique it sapped my energy pretty good. It did not seem to consume as much energy when I was doing well. So I need to get better.
    The outriggers were a new thing to me so I had to figure them out. I kept dragging the uphill one which screwed me up some. I could only manage a couple hours before I was finished but I had a blast and was no where near as sore as I thought I would be the next day.
    I went to Roundtop in PA. I plan to go again. Blue MT has a great bunny slope I want to go to and there is a ski mash at Liberty in a month.
    Then I am heading to VT to ski with the guys from High Fives. They have awarded me a grant from their Winter Empowerment Fund.
    This has been the most crazy year.
    It started with me being paralyzed from the waist down and ended with me snowboarding. Un- frickin- believable.

I went last week. Snowboarding is totally doable. When I was struggling with technique it sapped my energy pretty good. It did not seem to consume as much energy when I was doing well. So I need to get better.
    The outriggers were a new thing to me so I had to figure them out. I kept dragging the uphill one which screwed me up some. I could only manage a couple hours before I was finished but I had a blast and was no where near as sore as I thought I would be the next day.
    I went to Roundtop in PA. I plan to go again. Blue MT has a great bunny slope I want to go to and there is a ski mash at Liberty in a month.
    Then I am heading to VT to ski with the guys from High Fives. They have awarded me a grant from their Winter Empowerment Fund.
    This has been the most crazy year.
    It started with me being paralyzed from the waist down and ended with me snowboarding. Un- frickin- believable.
    Unbelievable indeed! Hard work (and a little luck, I'm sure) paying off! Glad to hear you enjoyed. If you go to Liberty, say hi to Manny. He's hilarious!

MFloun, have you tried skiing with outriggers instead of poles, or woud you?