Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick release axle button sticking, fold down push handle hard to fold

quick release axle button sticking, fold down push handle hard to fold

I've been having a couple maintenance issues lately with my quickie q7. The first is the quick release button on my axles is getting stuck in the pressed position. So I don't have any trouble removing the wheels, but when I go to put them back on they don't lock in place. I have to slide the wheel off a bit, slide the axle away from the chair and get the button to pop back up, then slide the wheel on again to lock. Its getting irritating.

Also the fold down push handle on the right has become very stiff and difficult to fold down or flip back up. The one on the left is still like new where if I press the button it practically folds itself back down. I looked at photos online and it didn't seem like it, but does anyone know if the quickie fold down push handle can be opened up? I wondered if moisture or something got inside causing problems. I'd like to fix it myself if I can, before driving waaaay across down to the dme. I've moved twice since I got my chair and both times further from the dme.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Have you tried lubricating the quick releases? Has there been any adjustments done to your chair or work on wheels that might affect the quck releases?

How do I lubricate it and what do I use? No adjustments have been made, and I don't understand how an adjustment affects the button. The button also doesn't feel any more difficult to press.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

You can use Tri Flo which is a silicon based lubricant-it's like WD40 but better. I tried to get bring up the Q7 owners manual on the Quickie website but I can't get into it. There should be a section in your owners manual about the quick releases.
    Last edited by canuck; 11-18-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Added info

I don't have access to my manual right now. It would be somewhere in my storage unit. Since quick release axles are mostly all the same if you could show me where to lubricate on a photo of one that would be great. I'm very visual.

Is there any downside to lubricating? I know you're not supposed to lubricate the axle part that goes into the camber plug. And I'm not convinced lubricating will cure it since I'd expect if that was the problem it would be difficult or slow to press and release(kind of like how the handle is difficult to fold up and down), not just sticking in the pressed position. But I also don't know anything about maintenance other than reading here!

On the quick release there are those two little pins that retract when you push the button on the quick release I would squirt a little in there and also a bit in end of the quick release. PLus a little bit on the quick release shaft..

A tiny bit of sand or something might have gotten caught where the little balls are in the end of your axle. I think I'd try high pressure air or drowning them in alcohol to try to wash it out.
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with fold down push handles, but it sounds dirty too.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nonoise just beat me to a suggestion I was about to make, get a can of compressed air a product like "Ultra Duster" from your local electronics store or computer store-I'm in Canada so I can't name specific stores.. The tri flow should be able to be found at a bicycle repair store or automotive supply.

Canned air might not be strong enough. I wasn't thinking the duster can air. I was thinking in terms of shop air. At any rate, pushing the button in (to release pressure) and bobbing the balls end up and down in a container of alcohol may free it up.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The reason I was thinking the canned air is because of the straw like nozzle which allows you too get right up against where you need to spray so it's targeted, also thinking that it's easier to access and potentially cheaper then going going to a medical supply dealer, bike shop or... Of course if you know somebody with a compressor you're in the money.