Thread: Twinkie Shortage Brings Top Dollar to Hoarders

Twinkie Shortage Brings Top Dollar to Hoarders

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Food Forum or the Work and Money Forum.

Since Hostess Brands has decided to close down all of its bakeries and outlets and layoff over 18,000 people, small time entrepreneurs have begun buying up the available stock of Twinkies, Cupcakes, Ding Dongs, Donettes, HoHos, and Zingers.

While some folks aren't seeking to make a fortune on selling their hoard of treats, there are some who hope to make a little extra Christmas cash. A box of 10 Twinkies typically sells for $5.00. One guy bought 16 boxes at a Hostess store and has them on eBay for $100 a box.

The first high price listing I found on eBay where there was a at least one bid was for this lot with an asking price of $365.00 US:
    • 6 Boxes (12 count) Hostess Zingers ~ Raspberry Iced
    • 6 Boxes (12 count) Hostess Zingers ~ Vanilla Iced
    • 3 Boxes (8 count) Hostess Suzy Q's
    • 2 Boxes (10 count) Hostess HoHos
    • 1 Box (8 count) Hostess Strawberry Cupcakes
    • 4 Boxes (8 count) Hostess Golden Cupcakes
    • 3 Boxes (10 count) Hostess Chocolate Creme Twinkies
    • 1 Box (8 count) Hostess Natural Orange Cupcakes
    • Total of 26 Boxes of Hostess Cakes

I ate my last Twinkie probably about 60 years ago. But, my favorite was the SnoBall. What is/was your favorite and when did you last enjoy(!) one? Are you hoarding for your own personal use?

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.

You can thank the unions for you lack of snoballs:

The snack giant endured $52 million in workers' comp claims in 2011, according to its bankruptcy filing this January. Hostess's 372 collective-bargaining agreements required the company to maintain 80 different health and benefit plans, 40 pension plans and mandated a $31 million increase in wages and health care and other benefits for 2012.

Union work rules usually required cake and bread products to be delivered to a single retail location using two separate trucks. Drivers weren't allowed to load their own vehicles, and the workers who loaded bread weren't allowed to load cake. On most delivery routes, another "pull up" employee moved products from back rooms to shelves.

I love the cupcakes, though I never eat them anymore. In high school I was a fan of the zingers...
    Rebecca
    Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
    Mother of 2 active boys!

Yep its all the union's fault for twinkiegeddon... It doesn't have a thing to do with mismanagement or debt.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pay-hi...195314670.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Hostess Brands Inc. said Monday that eight executives who received pay hikes of up to 80 percent last summer before the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization have agreed to sharp reductions in their salaries.
    The maker of Ding Dongs and Twinkies said the top four top executives under new CEO Greg Rayburn have agreed to reduce their salaries to $1 a year until the company emerges from bankruptcy or Dec. 31, whichever comes first.
    The other four volunteered to go back to the same salaries they had before last year's pay hike. None of the executives is being asked to return any money to the company, however.
    Rayburn said 11 executives received pay hikes that were made by the board of directors in a bid to "stabilize" the management team. Three of those executives, including the general counsel and former CEO Brian Driscoll, have since left the company.
    Brian Driscoll, CEO, around $750,000 to $2,550,000.
    Gary Wandschneider, EVP, $500,000 to $900,000.
    John Stewart, EVP, $400,000 to $700,000.
    David Loeser, EVP, $375,000 to $656,256.
    Kent Magill, EVP, $375,000 to $656,256.
    Richard Seban, EVP, $375,000 to $656,256.
    John Akeson, SVP, $300,000 to $480,000.
    Steven Birgfeld, SVP, $240,000 to $360,000.
    Martha Ross, SVP, $240,000 to $360,000.
    Rob Kissick, SVP, $182,000 to $273,008.
    www.thinkprogress.com
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Those numbers aren't out of line with a large corporation and I doubt they add up to one month of the cost of inefficiencies caused by things like cake and bread having to be delivered by two different trucks.

While the company was filing for bankruptcy, for the second time, earlier this year, it actually tripled its CEO’s pay, and increased other executives’ compensation by as much as 80 percent.
    It also follows a trend of rising CEO pay in times of economic difficulty. At the manufacturing company Caterpillar, for example, they froze workers’ pay while boosting their CEO’s pay to $17 million. And at Citigroup, CEO Vikram Pandit received $6.7 million for crashing his company, walking off with $260 million after the business lost 88 percent of its value.
    http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...esss-downfall/

In your response you said to thank the unions. I am not a supporter of unions but it is not the workers fault this company was so badly mis-managed.

I worked in a hospital where my employees were union and it was the most horrific place that I have ever lived/worked. My employees straight up told me to "F*** off" when asked to do work that was in their job descriptions. Surgeries were compromised because they could and did say "I'm not doing that". I could not even get their vehicle information so we could require them to park in designated areas so our patients could get in the door of the hospital.

I just don't think it is all the unions fault this particular time.

I just realized this is in the food forum. I never liked the taste of the nasty twinkies but I feel all the people who lost their jobs

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Like I said, I wasn't sure whether to put this thread in the Food Forum or the Work and Money Forum. But, I had to choose one. Food seemed the better place since I was focusing my comments on some people trying to corner a dwindling inventory and turn a bit of profit.

I think the proprietary formula for the various products that are so popular will be bought by another food company and will be back on the shelves within months. Of course, that does nothing for the folks who lost their jobs in this shut down. Hostess Brands has been in bankruptcy for all but three of the past eight years, not continuously, but in and out a couple of times.

It has been forever since I ate a Twinkie or a SnoBall. When I was a kid, I really liked SnoBalls. I wonder how my palate would react to the taste today? comes to mind. (I always wanted to use that emoticon, just could never think of an appropriate place.)

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-18-2012 at 07:29 PM.

I never liked them either GJ. Not only twinkies but the other hostess stuff too. I never tried a snowball either.

I was more of a moonpie and RC kind of gal.

I saw on the news that people are selling them on Ebay. They can have them all. LOL

I think you are right and some company will buy the recipe.

oh, they will sell the brand for sure, but when a company only makes 1/2 a cent on a singe product, unions can't ask for half of that more.....just plain economics........