Thread: Insuring old van

Insuring old van

My van is now 11 years old, though mileage is very low, as I don't go very far very often. How much should I insure it for? Just the value of the van itself, or include the value of of the adaptations?

Thanks for all input.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

It depends on how much it would cost you to replace the adaptions...I would think. Our insurance here is different. They give you what it is worth on the year model and they will give you replacement value for what it is worth the year you have the accident. So if blue book is $5000 when you have a loss then you get $5000 no matter how much it takes to replace it.

I do have a rider on my RV that covers my TV and electronics that I have added. My added stuff is insured at replacement value which means it doesn't matter how old they are and they will be replaced with new ones if lost due to an accident. I would think your adaptions would be the same. If you are in an accident you would definitely want them replaced if they are broken due to the accident. There is only about $150 difference a year for me to get my personal belongings replaced with new verses replacing at value at time of accident.

If you knew this already, I apologize. I did not know this when I insured my first new vehicle years ago.

If it were me, I would do a rider for the adaptions just like a TV in my RV. If you have a loss then no worries about replacing the things you need on a vehicle to use it.

Also get your riders in writing. Just because they say it is covered doesn't mean it always is. Another lesson learned LOL but thankfully not the hard way for me LOL.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I didn't know. Apparently, it's been insured at book value for the van all these years (which was still costly, as I don't drive, so someone else is the primary driver.) Roll-X said it's worth $20,000 with the adaptations when I called Wednesday.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Check to see if the adaptations might be covered by your home owners or renters insurance.