Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm having HO surgery

I'm having HO surgery

Hello everyone ! I've consulted with my dr here in Mobile, AL and he has said he's in agreement to do the surgery on Nov 29th. He said he'll do a 'resection' on my hip and follow it up with radiation to try to prevent it from coming back. His name is dr Xing and he's from the Mobile Infirmary. I'm nervous as heck about it and just wanted to post it on here.

Sending you a long distant computer hug, and prayers for a successful surgery/quick recovery.

At least you don't have too many days to dread the surgery

What is HO surgery? Hip Replacement?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

HO stands for Heterotopic ossification

Awww thanks ! It's heterotopic ossification. My body is dropping extra bone growth to my right hip. I have a grapefruit size mass of bone that's blocking my range of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    Awww thanks ! It's heterotopic ossification. My body is dropping extra bone growth to my right hip. I have a grapefruit size mass of bone that's blocking my range of motion.
    I've heard of that. So radiation is hopefully going to stop the extra bone from growing? Amazing....I hope it works for you.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

The dr has looked at my cat scans/X-rays/bone scans and determined that my HO is mature ( no longer growing ). He'll have to go in and cut some of it out to give me range back and then use radiation to try and prevent it from coming back.

Ask him how many times he's done what he's going to do. Seek a second opinion. I'm not fucking with you. I'm paralyzed because of a doctor.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Unfortunately surgery for HO usually fails. The least little tiny bit that remains starts growing again. When I searched for an answer, I was told of a Doc in Texas that had some sucess but that was it.
    I hope that you have good sucess and the radiation may be the ticket.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 11-14-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: EXAS
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Colin sent me a private message on his surgery because I list HO in my signature. I was discouraging about it returning in my reply. He told me about the radiation, and a little Google showed that the radiation was pioneered at Mayo in the 1970s in conjunction with hip replacements. A single dose of radiation is used after a hip replacement when the patient is at risk of HO. The radiation is apparently quite effective in this context.

I am intensely interested in anyone in the SCI community with a successful HO surgery. I have always heard dismal reports, but my knowledge is ancient.

Good luck Colin. Keep us posted.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I had HO surgery + radiation two years ago in my hip and it's been quite successful. I haven't noticed any loss of range since then. Initially my doctor wanted to do a girdlestone (removing the top of the femur) but I said I just needed enough range to sit up straight and get dressed myself and that I didn't want the girdlestone. We agreed on that and went ahead with the surgery. I had a lot of bone removed but like I said I haven't noticed any regrowth so far. Good luck to anyone deciding to go ahead with this surgery.