Thread: Non Embryonic Stem Cell Treatment Allows Paralysed Brazilian To Walk, Talk Again

Non Embryonic Stem Cell Treatment Allows Paralysed Brazilian To Walk, Talk Again

Non Embryonic Stem Cell Treatment Allows Paralysed Brazilian To Walk, Talk Again
    RIO DE JANEIRO, November 23, 2004 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Brazilian scientists have successfully transplanted adult stem cells into a woman's brain, facilitating her recovery from a brain hemorrhage that left her paralysed and unable to talk.

Maria da Graca Pomeceno, 54, had bone marrow stem cells taken from her pelvis and injected into her damaged brain. Local television broadcasts showed her walking up stairs and talking.

Hans Fernando Dohmann, director of Rio's Pro-Cardiaco Hospital, said that hers was the first reported successful treatment of this condition, but that trials with 14 more patients are in the works. "We are still at a stage where we are focusing on the safety of the procedure and trying to avoid potential side effects. The next phase will be to test the treatment's effectiveness," he told the AFP.

Dohmann said, however, that he also supports the use of embryonic stem cells, which have had vastly less success than adult stem cells, praising proposed legislation tabled by the Brazilian Senate that would legalize the unethical research.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2004/nov/04112306.html

Dohmann said, however, that he also supports the use of embryonic stem cells, which have had vastly less success than adult stem cells, praising proposed legislation tabled by the Brazilian Senate that would legalize the unethical research

What!!??

Please, it is so important that people do not jump to conclusions. A majority of people who have had a first-time stroke will recover substantially from the stroke without any transplant therapy. This is a trial to show safety and feasibility. The results do not imply efficacy. To show efficacy, a controlled clinical trial is necessary. Wise.

[This message was edited by Max on 12-01-04 at 12:37 PM.]

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Please, it is so important that people do not jump to conclusions. A majority of people who have had a first-time stroke will recover substantially from the stroke without any transplant therapy. This is a trial to show safety and feasibility. The results do not imply efficacy. To show efficacy, a controlled clinical trial is necessary. Wise.
    Thats why I winked Wisey

Seems like recent info about Korean trial & even Huang trials do not support basic theory of axonal regenetration?

Am I wrong, Wise?

Recovery, especially sencory is happening much faster than you predicted/speculated about in theory

And I bet Koreans like Huang cannot explain why It happening??

[This message was edited by Max on 12-01-04 at 04:04 PM.]

Max, the Korean and Brazilian situations are different from the Beijing situation. First, Hongyun Huang has done many more patients and has done more thorough neurological examinations on the patients. The Koreans have done one patient and the Brazilians have done one patient. Second, it is not clear from the information present how much the patients recovered. The neurological examination presented were disappointingly sparse in both cases. Third, there is a distinct possibility in the case of the Brazilian woman that received the bone marrow stem cell transplant that the recovery was spontaneous and would have occurred even without any cell transplantation. Likewise, I think that it is possible that the recovery in the woman that received the umbilical cord blood transplants was due to decompression of the spinal cord by the surgery. I have seen improvements of function associated with decompression even many years after injury.

The first step is to show that there is recovery before we can discuss the mechanism of recovery. I am not yet convinced based on the information presented thus far that either person recovered function as a result of the cell transplant. Of course, if and when more information becomes available, I would be happy to reconsider. The thing that I want to point out is that people should not be rushing off the get bone marrow or umbilical stem cell transplants because they believe that they will recover a lot of function. I don't think that either of these cases support that at all. Max, you have been around these forums for a long time and you know this.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 12-02-04 at 05:51 AM.]

Thank you, Wise

Over years I apreciate your willingness to share your knowlege & wisdom with all of us...

Tiny part of me still want to believe in "Korean miracle", like Anastasia believed every Xmas, when she was small & was getting parcels in the mail-that return address was really of Santa & comming from North Pole

Max, thanks. You also know that Tarcisio Barros has transplanted autologous bone marrow stem cells into 30 patients with chronic spinal cord injury in Sao Paulo, Brazil. He does not report walking patients, by the way. Wise.