Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new house

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    From our recent bathroom remodel in a universally designed condo that is 12 years old, I would definitely line the entire subfloor of bathrooms with rubber backing and in the roll in shower a good ways up the walls. I wish we could have gone with a trench drain but that requires a bit more than 4" under the tile to install and we have radient floor heat too. So if you want both do plan on that depth up front. We do not have to worry about any mold though with the rubber backing in the shower surround and bathtub area or about 4 feet out. When we decide to do the second full bath we'll do the entire floor and up the tub surround walls with the backing.
    I wish I had known about this back in 1996 when I had my home built. I too have radiant heat in my floors. There is mold in the grout between the shower floor tiles that is a bear to keep at bay.

Anybody have a good cleaning solution for bathroom grout mold?

Sue: we'll be using the same basic idea in the new house master bathroom with some modifications the shower layout as well as the sink. There will be a lot of natural light in the new house as well. I can use to towel hooks where they are however, they will definitely be lower since I don't have to worry about compromising with anyone else.
    The front of the house pictured may have been a little deceptive all three stalls of the garage are attached and heated.

Peggy: I most certainly can use the Windows and will be put them into the new house as well. They are cranking out taste the Windows from Hurd. He met with my quad paws I can lock/unlock and open/close the windows anytime I choose.

KSpell, I sort of figured you'd have the garages figured out someway for the cold. I love the heated underground garage we have. We have 2 spaces, 3 locking storage units and because of a smart older woman 2 grocery carts for hauling things up in one trip. She surprised the grocery store manager requesting to buy 2 he gave them to her at his price. Our towel racks our at normal height for an AB except for a ring I had added under my vanity on the left. It holds my hand towel while once I take a shower that towel and face cloth go to the laundry. We did add a hook in the shower for slings to hang on to dry and was surprised that they dry so fast they can normally just be folded and placed on a shelf in the closest.

Are you decided on windows yet? We have huge picture windows because of the lake view so they are lower set than others might be. I would definitely take a look at your scenery windows and current height averages. And those Pella windows with the blinds inside? We put those in our old places front two bedrooms and I hated them. The draw for them involves 4 thin strings and very tiny streamlined add ons to your trim you can wind them around when they are up. You really need good hand coordination. My husband didn't like those either. I did get a permanently set blinds non-opening window for a laundry room that was not seen much by inside or outside but I wanted the energy saving and noise abatement bennies. We overall love everything else about the Pellas including the two sliders with screens to the back deck on the old place and 3 sliders here plus all the others are also all Pellas. These have held up incredibly well. Both here and there they are inside stained wood and outside white painted steel of some sort. I can open the sliders with my left hand including the lock. Not sure if I could unlock them using my right hand which is more of a quad paw. We have wooden blinds on the inside here. Much easier to raise, lower and set! I'll take a look at the, what? Windows from Hurd? I doubt we'll build a house but at some point we might want a smaller place further south for winters. I keep a file just in case...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I wish I had known about this back in 1996 when I had my home built. I too have radiant heat in my floors. There is mold in the grout between the shower floor tiles that is a bear to keep at bay.

Anybody have a good cleaning solution for bathroom grout mold?
    Our tile guy was a perfectionist so he mixed his own and the stuff he used could be guarenteed under certain conditions. He came close with ours but because of soft water here in couldn't guarentee colored grouts. I'd ask at a tile place. You might want to ask about a serious cleaning then regrout part way down and seal it. At the least they can tell you the best way to clean your current grout.

I read up on that underpad after this bath was done and if I had known everything about it I would have asked him to cover the entire subfloor in the bath and the adjoining walk in closet. It had carpetting when we bought it but I had it tiled too and am having the almost new carpet bound into area rugs where I will grind up the carpeted areas elsewhere the worst. At least the shower is well proteced too with it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Gurney accessible.

Not only wheelchair accessible but gurney accessible too!

I put that in my design of my newly built home.

You never know when an accident, fall or an illness may happen and you need EMS to take you to the hospital.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Not only wheelchair accessible but gurney accessible too!

I put that in my design of my newly built home.

You never know when an accident, fall or an illness may happen and you need EMS to take you to the hospital.

Ti
    New one on me! I have had exactly one ambulance ride since entering rehab after waking up with a fever of 105F back in MD. The EMS had no prolems even with the hall turn of an older ranch but we had widened our master bedroom door and the front door was a double that one side could easily be unlocked at top and bottom. I can't see this as a big need in planning unless your area is very small or the gurney might be needed for a bariatric patient. I would think that any exit near the bedroom/s in case of fire should be able to handle a gurney or some EMS folks need to retake those very physical tests on a yearly basis.

I wouldn't worry about gurney's. They have carried me out of here in an ordinary chair before transferring me to the gurney. This was prior to falling and needing a wheelchair, but they were still concerned about my paralysis, see sig statement.
    Last edited by nonoise; 01-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Here's to finalize floorplan and rendered elevations. With any luck I will be breaking ground within three weeks.

Nice design. I like how you did the bath with the 3rd & 4th bdrms in the basement. Very efficient use of space. Wish I could get away with a pantry that small. The plan for our retirement home has a 7' x 16' pantry, and the wife is lobbying for more space.

One thing I would do would be to put a wall from the fireplace to the exterior wall in the basement creating more storage.
    Last edited by shakey56; 01-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.

The kitchen footprint has not been finalized,that is the architects generic idea. I am three kitchen designers looking at that space. I know for sure that would be putting in a 4 foot entry that has 110% pullout shelves in the laundry/mud room and the other part of storage/pantry space will be located in the storage room in the basement I will also contain my gun safes and miscellaneous storage. The garage has actresses so there is a time of storage above the garage and I also build a lot of high shelves in the garage itself for storing items that I do not need a regular basis.