Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working, The Stigma of Not Working & Disability

I think it's crazy feeling guilty for not working with a spinal injury. Only you know if you're capable of doing so. And I doubt any body feels that you should be. I work because I like a certain standard of living where I could not afford if I wasn't working. I went without health insurance most of my adult life because of it.

Lots of great comments.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Thanks for the kind words Rainman. I don't know if others have dealt with repeated pressure wounds but I'm wondering if the cost of working and getting up early and sitting 12 to 15 hrs each day, five days a week...will be more pressure wounds? Though I haven't had a wound in about 2 years +, I've already had four surgeries or wound closures/flap surgeries on the right side of my rear.

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Rainman. I don't know if others have dealt with repeated pressure wounds but I'm wondering if the cost of working and getting up early and sitting 12 to 15 hrs each day, five days a week...will be more pressure wounds? Though I haven't had a wound in about 2 years +, I've already had four surgeries or wound closures/flap surgeries on the right side of my rear.

Kyle, I would do what's best for your health. No one is going to look at you any differently. Just dealing with being a c4-5 is more then anybody could ask for. Money does give you some comfort, but it's not worth risking your health.

People treat me the same if i'm wearing a company shirt or not. No one judges obvious disabled people on their ability of working.

I feel judged. Possibly b/c I'm so incomplete an sci.Only when you factor the Graves disease in does my full-term disability seem justified to me. I did pay in to ssdi for yrs. 80% of hub's SS due to being disabled widow under 50. I'm not rich, but it is dirt cheap where I currently live.

And sold house in OK for fair price, so now only 1 set of bills!

I always worked. I'm incapable of my former job, I lack the dexterity for microscopes and needles and test tubes. Should go back to school but in this economy what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I feel judged. Possibly b/c I'm so incomplete an sci.Only when you factor the Graves disease in does my full-term disability seem justified to me. I did pay in to ssdi for yrs. 80% of hub's SS due to being disabled widow under 50. I'm not rich, but it is dirt cheap where I currently live.

And sold house in OK for fair price, so now only 1 set of bills!

I always worked. I'm incapable of my former job, I lack the dexterity for microscopes and needles and test tubes. Should go back to school but in this economy what's the point?
    Betheny, are the judgements coming from family or outsiders? Or are you talking about companies extending you credit or something on those lines?

LOL, no, I don't borrow money. Dad said
    not to, so I don't.

I feel judged when former classmates/colleagues,say "OMG what a waste of talent!" But I don't want to continue my education to be bean counter/resident bitch ina hospital lab. I was a great worker bee but between all the estrogen and the
    fbi ordering us not to shred documents b/c the company was keeping 2 sets ofbooks...itwas shady as hell.

PPl tell me to write books. But if Kate and Rusty van Reeves didn't make a living at it, I stand no chance.

Not much fam left, but they're judging. Stepmom just can't see why I can't ride horse into Iraq and be intrepid journalist Like John Hockenberry.He was a 24 yr old male para. 2 whole diff ballgames.

I feel judged
    Bethany...isn't it true that we (ourselves) are usually our harshest critics? It's easy to think to yourself things would be better or I'd "be happier" if I were working, if I got this degree or pursued this or that career.

As a "quad" who can't transfer, getting/paying for help five days a week in order to get ready each day, getting to work as I don't drive (at least not yet) seem like huge obstacles...then there's the little issue of finding the job I can do.

Going back to school seems tough with the job prospects looking so rough with this bad economy. Sometimes I think "staying healthy" and avoiding pressure wounds (and surgeries) is more important than working. Still, getting up and out of the house each day and staying busy would be good.

Bethany, Kyle...if people are judging you because you are on disability income, they really need their heads examined. It is not something you chose. In NOW WAY FEEL BAD BECAUSE INSURANCE IS NOW HELPING SUPPORT YOU. They need to go find out what insurance is for.
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 11-20-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Bethany, Kyle...if people are judging you because you are on disability income, they really need their heads examined. It is not something you chose. In NOW WAY FEEL BAD BECAUSE INSURANCE IS NOW HELPING SUPPORT YOU. They need to go find out what insurance is for.
    Well, you know, there is a stigma of some sorts when you are collecting SSDI and a candidate for President says that makes you part of the 47%.....
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.