Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch! No herniated disc!

Angry Ouch! No herniated disc!

Wow I felt shock like pain in heel a year ago thought I got shocked by electricity, still think I did, well anyway I was feeling very beside my self so so my husbands
    Physiatrist exam I have significant numbness in the ankle and chin area and couldn't raise my big toe while pressure was applied to foot, I was shocked because this the heel I felt the electrical sensation in a year ago hurt for 14 days and stopped thought I was well. Doctor said could be herniated disc, but MRI was normal he said some times mri is not to conclusive so, done nerve study, emg and with needles, I have more numbness but we really haven't seen doc since that day but will in two weeks, he ordered a ct of abdominal area also was normal, I have been so worried as I work and take care of my husband, he said I ha L5 Radiculopathy on left side hope I spelled that correctly, nerve entrapment in left elbow so far. We will see him soon to talk about test, and see if this related to electrical shock I felt was so bad I was having muscle contraction every twenty minutes. I'm scared he said some of this is in my head to but I didn't have a stroke what is he talking about, I do have involuntary movements with right arm off and on, weird he said coming from the other side.

Yes good idea to get EMG is a nerve conduction study. EMG may aid with the diagnosis of nerve compression or injury (such as carpal tunnel syndrome), nerve root injury (such as sciatica), and with other problems of the muscles or nerves.

Best wishes keep us updated.

pbr

Thank you I will update I do have a mole he said doesn't look suspicious but remove it, been there all my life, will remove the 28 th of this month to be on the safe, it is in the lower back on the left side I would assume if tumor mri would have picked it up but will remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacegirl_11 View Post
    this is in my head to but I didn't have a stroke what is he talking about,
    I could barely understand. Can you write in complete sentences?

By "in your head", he means psychological meaning there is nothing wrong with you and you convince yourself in your mind that there is.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 11-12-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Good question, I can only guess , I was assuming hopefully no stroke, or sensory ,certainly not making myself sick. But if I have he can work on that to. Sorry I dont finish sentenes,cant spell eithet, will try to work on that to.

Unhappy Update

Dr said I don't guess we can do anything about the electrical part of all this,guess it could have been some anxiety, but I do have a injury but to prove the other he has to call it as he sees it didn't see how it was possible with his findings, he said I have a pinched nerve in my spine somewhere, I assume L5, I asked about left arm and he said it was coming from lower back I'm confused about that part. Physcical therapy has been great I can't feel the electric therapy on the lower left of my back tho, I was very weak the first 2 days but now I am hanging in. Also the Dr said a small procedure may help me a shot of steroids in spine, little scary tho, but it may help. Can anyone help explain to me about some of this? I thought I knew something's but I don't, and researching has made me crazy, confused.

Thanks peacegirl

so what was the diagnosis?

pbr

Unhappy Confused

Dr said I don't guess we can do anything about the electrical part of all this,guess it could have been some anxiety, but I do have a injury but to prove the other he has to call it as he sees it didn't see how it was possible with his findings, he said I have a pinched nerve in my spine somewhere, I assume L5, I asked about left arm and he said it was coming from lower back I'm confused about that part. Physcical therapy has been great I can't feel the electric therapy on the lower left of my back tho, I was very weak the first 2 days but now I am hanging in. Also the Dr said a small procedure may help me a shot of steroids in spine, little scary tho, but it may help. Can anyone help explain to me about some of this? I thought I knew something's but I don't, and researching has made me crazy, confused. I can understand what the dr has said but as I listen carefully, I say nothing I have a problem if I didn't have a melted mat and charred cords I quess this would be easy for me to let go, but I can't. I trust my dr he is great, it's me I want nothing more but to understand and be still, but i am restless and have mixed emotion about it all. sometimes don't even trust myself now, I am greatful don't want it to be either but this wasn't anxiety that took me in a total different direction in health, sure i have it now. the electrician said my cords were charred 4 times, I think I need to ring the bell about when someone gets hurt at work don't let the co workers push under the rug to safe there own, if I had been in the right state afterwards things would have been different I quess, but things do happen for a reason. I must be the one who will scream it to the moon! I will fight with all my might!

Thanks for listening peacegirl

All he told me was proving the other he didn't see possible, but I did have a injury and I said where he said you have a pinched nerve in your spine somewhere, I think I didn't respond like I should have I swear I don't get it. He told me when emg was done I had L5 radiculopathy did a ct on abdomen I had pain during emg on the left side of stomache about inch and a half away from the hip bone they said that ct was normal. he stated when he used the needle he said there was a nerve there that runs up behind my stomache,. I have this area hurting a lot like I need to go to bathroom, and seems I go sometimes. Last week it took 3 morning to empty bowels, not hard just taking its sweet time and wait till next day do the same, feel like urinating to much stop bp pill because it made me go to much but still doing that, weird. I told him he said ct of abdomen was normal that was a month ago, well this must be anxiety to ha . Ask about my left arm where ulnar nerve is entrapped he said coming from lower back, also I said during emg I asked if this was in my head you said some of it, what did you mean? He said I was just messing with you, I said I knew it wasn't, so this isn't in my head he said no! But I think I do understand that my signal from brain to the left side in certain areas not working I know, I get that do I need to say tell like it is so I can understand in terms that I can understand ? I should have said more I was scared because I have never ever had back problem didn't even hurt in my back when this happened just felt hot hot hot hot..drilling through left heel, I now feel some discomfort of heavyness after therapy like insides are pressing down on rectum areas u know. This is scary the hell out of me. I feel like I can lick my wounds and go on, but how? I can't feel certain areas, I wish I could say a diagnose other than you do have a injury, but thank god no disease mentioned as of yet, how can he tell my husband and I during emg the MRI was normal and my husband asked do you think the electricity shock could have done this to her he said particularly when nothing is showing on MRI, so I am not satisfied with all of this at all makes me feel like I can't even trust myself.

Peacegirl

Just to add he said I had a grade 2 denervation I believe on emg. Well I quess he didnt say this accident didn't happen but not possible for him to prove, he said I could have picked up on something heavy, or twisted with the work I do, I get that! I have known this dr for 15 years he has helpd wih my husband a work related accident, he is a incomplete quad this is why I wanted to use him but this is not wrkcomp case. So as far as I can understand L5 Radiculopathy on the left side, left ulnar nerve entrapment, was what he told me the day he did emg, Monday last week I you do have a injury, ok ........ I have heard a lot but don't really no what, I asked will I have a herniation later from all this , he said I don't think so. You have a pinched nerve in your spine somewhere, and wants to do this procedure said it might help me.
    Last edited by Peacegirl_11; 12-03-2012 at 05:37 PM.