Thread: Bathroom reno

Bathroom reno

We just finished putting in a main floor bathroom in what used to be the garage. There are a few things I forgot about like having the light switches lowered and making a built in shelf for the shower. My husband has little range and strength in his arms so I bought a vessel sink and had it recessed into the counter top. I also had them install the faucet at the side where he could reach it. My plummer put in a different trap so the drain is out of the way. The trench drain is in the middle of the shower to minimize the slope of the floor. The walls have plywood under the drywall so I can put grab bars anywhere I need to. The drawers at the sink are kitchen sized but without the legs/ toe kick on to make it the right height. The floor has radiant heating so water after a shower dries up very fast.

Oops

I forgot the shower picture and I don't know how to add it to the original post.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-11-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Right-size photo.

Wow, that all looks really great. Efficient and attractive at the same time.

Look's very nice! Mine is similar in the layout and it's very easy to use, he should really enjoy it!

Really nice job. I added the second photo to my file. I just moved into the apartment of my dreams, but the washroom turned out to be a disaster. A little clamshell sink with low faucet. All of it recessed into a little cubbyhole where no one can help with teeth or shaving. So I'm going to use yours as an example of how to do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Really nice job. I added the second photo to my file. I just moved into the apartment of my dreams, but the washroom turned out to be a disaster. A little clamshell sink with low faucet. All of it recessed into a little cubbyhole where no one can help with teeth or shaving. So I'm going to use yours as an example of how to do it right
    I think we had the same sink put into our twin vanities when we renovated last year. Van, you might want to also check out undermounting such sinks. I was initially against it but the decorator/contractor talked me into it. I'm glad she did. You get the same amount of sink space but more vanity surround area and you don't need to lift your elbows as high to shave, brush teeth or wash your face.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Saltite, I am really sure we used the same tile and maybe even the same trim around the walls. Our contractor/decorator added our bath to her photo collection in several places under photos. This one shows just the edge of the above the trim inset box shelf for my husband and the one below the trim for me. http://dcinteriorsllc.com/kitchens.html#images/kb5.png We picked everything out as far as tile, trim, cabinets and even cabinet pulls at one trade only store in just a few hours. At that time I thought we were sticking with a French Provencial goldish yellow paint already there. The dark paint color was a shock but it honestly works very well and after about 2 days I really liked it. I never thought of a blue but it works too especially if you have the blue in the trim. I'm keeping that picture too in case we decide to switch a few colors in 4 or 5 years. The vanity tops are not white but a bique color with flecks of light rust, tan and a bit of gray in them so the sinks do stand out from them even when inset. The original material we wanted was sold out when she went to order, and we were on a cruise in Europe, so she sent 3 possible pictures of composite marble that were all very dark and had a pattern much like the counters in our kitchen. Those are about the only thing we didn't like about the house. lol Your counters are much different and I like that deep color too. What kind of material is it? Oh, the biggest expense of the entire makeover was discovering the mold under the old tile and realized we'd need new framing and the rubber under matting. At that time, she and our condo association president also discovered the blueprints we had were off 2 inches under the subfloor. So the solid, one piece, colored to order (desert harvest), marble composite floor in the shower was a very unneeded, now, huge expense we could have cut and just tiled the floor with the same tile as the walls and bench. We obviously kept the flat floor, no choice, and the plumber did a wonderful job with a regular drain placed well and a very different type flange (not sure of the terms here) underneath so draining water had two steps to spread out an inch or so as it went down to avoid flooding under the glass doors we saved from the previous shower. I love that I can move forward and back as needed to adjust the water temp, grab soap or shampoo and not have to hit the brakes with the flat floor. But that was a serious unseen cost without getting the trench too.

The other thing we might have done had we been here when the mold and the need for new framing came up was reorder a different jacuzzi. I only had 48" inches to work with because when the previous owner redid things from the original built ins she removed the long tub and added more shower space and put a make up vanity desk where the tub is now. The seperate jacuzzi heater was built into the wall to the left front a bit and plastered over. It has access from the guestroom closet but did require a 220 volt outlet. The vanity I had moved into the walk in closet where it fits beautifully. At least that was cheap. LOL But we were/are designing for a home we can stay in forever. Oh, I think we even have the same washer and dryer with white cabinets but in their own room. Works well because it is off a hall from the kitchen so no noise and Maggie has her doggie bowls in there.

Oh, it doesn't show in any of the pictures because the plumber is new to the idea of individualizing the ADA guidelines to each person's needs but the tub does have a grab bar. He installed it after I tried out the tub once. Kohler has a short bar that has rubbery grip pads underneath facing down for the tub surround mount that makes it great for those of us with less than perfect grip. A good plumber or tiler can retro fit it to showers or tubs through ceramic tiles with the right drill and something underneath to hold the weight of who will grab it if needed. The style blends very well with most Kohler plumbing fixtures also.

This is the third other than ours using that fantastic tile that I know of. How they manage to add the slightly gritty feel of real stone and the varying slight depth to the swirled surface I don't know. My husband loves it because it gives him a none skid shower also. Even the woman who does the every other week deep cleaning likes it since it has the same cleaning ease as regular porcelin.

As far as the linked web site, Deb Corning is a local designer and general contractor although she did say she'd answer questions and offer design services if you send the photos and stuff she would need to draw up designs for you. Obviously she also likes to be paid and her fees seem average for her expertise as she is qualified for universal design, ADA (if you use a contractor or designer do let them know those are not meant for indivual needs) and green. Other than the bathroom pictures in her photo areas none of the other pictures are of our home so I can't answer questions on them. I do not get anything from her if you did decide to move near Madison and use her services.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 11-13-2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Disclaimer
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by saultite View Post
    The walls have plywood under the drywall so I can put grab bars anywhere I need to.
    The bathroom is very handsome. But, just a note of caution. Plywood is really not enough to anchor grab bars into. You need 2x4s attached to the studs so you can drill through the layers of the walls and anchor the grab bar fastener hardware into the 2x4s. Plywood may not be thick or strong enough for a full weight bearing accidental slip or fall. In my locality, this blocking for grab bars is code.

All the best,
    GJ

GJ, our carpenter told me he added two under the walls without the fixtures in the shower and one behind the main tub wall higher up if we ever needed a heavier bar. They are sketched up in her designs and yes, are 2 X 4s.

I did not have a designer or even a contractor after the first one I had charged me $12,500 to make a one car drive way slightly wider without telling me how much it would cost. He hadn't even gotten the building permit and my husband was due to come home for a visit in 1 month. When I went to get the permit (thinking to save him some time) I found out we needed to get a variance from the city in order to use the garage space for the bathroom. I fired him and managed to organize the renovation myself. I must have a guardian angel as I had no idea what I was doing.