Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunday Dinner Roast

Eye of round roast was my mother's cut. Grew up on that stuff. But she never used that cooking technique. I'm going to try it as well during the holiday season. I have a fancy European convection oven that nobody can figure out. This may be the easiest way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What cut of meat are you using? Those that are very lean are most likely to turn out dry.

When I make an oven roast (often using an eye of round roast), I either use the high temperature Joy of Cooking method (425F for 20 minutes, then turn down to 350F for 20 min./lb.) or the oven-turn-off method (preheat oven to 500F, put in roast and turn down to 475F, roast for 21 minutes (seven minutes per pound) then turn off the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the door at all during this time!). For medium rare, your internal temperature should be 135-140F.

I cover the roast with a favorite barbecue sauce and place in a shallow roasting pan. I don't include veggies...I cook those separately (I prefer a baked or re-baked potato and sautéed onions or mushrooms).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Eye of round roast was my mother's cut. Grew up on that stuff. But she never used that cooking technique. I'm going to try it as well during the holiday season. I have a fancy European convection oven that nobody can figure out. This may be the easiest way to go.
    You will love this method. I don't think it would work very well for a blade or a chuck type roast, as those are best kept for use as a traditional pot roast. Try this method on an eye of round just once and you will never ever go back.

It is safer than others I think because the dish cools a little in the time needed cooking with the oven off. No really hot pans to wrangle and all the time in the world to prepare the side dishes. The house smells like you are roasting a prime rib roast if you have just a little fat on the cut. Just a little, not much at 500 degrees and the fire risk.

I cannot tell yu how good this roast was. It was perfection.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I use an oven proof skillet just large enough for my roast.

Put just enough veg oil (EVOO will burn) in the bottom of a screaming hot pan to coat. (Hot pan + cold oil = no sticking).

Season the meat with salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme (Montreal works as it has enough in to avoid the separate seasonings-just do not use more salt, there is enough there Sear the meat to keep in the juice.

Transfer to a hot (450+) oven and immediately turn it down to 350. Check it in 20-30 minutes with a thermometer. I pull at rare and when it has rested, I get medium rare.

Remember, the larger the piece of meat, the more carry over cooking you will get while resting. That is why I pull at rare. My eye roasts melt in your mouth and slice very thin for sammies the next day when the remaining roast is cold.

I adapted this from Ida Garten's method for beef tenderloin. I cannot afford tenderloin but get the eye roasts at Costco on a regular basis.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

With the oven off method, is the roast left covered or uncovered?
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    With the oven off method, is the roast left covered or uncovered?
    Uncovered.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Uncovered.

(KLD)
    thanks, after Skippys glowing testimonial, I'm going out to buy a roast and do a taste test, will post the results.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    thanks, after Skippys glowing testimonial, I'm going out to buy a roast and do a taste test, will post the results.
    I put my roast on a rack in a pan and put the fat side up. I did notseason the roast as I never put salt in any food and I was concerned that at that high a temp the seasonings would burn. I made it plain for potential sandwiches, but there was no leftovers to speak of. Next time I will cook two at the same time.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I made a 5 1/2 pound eye of round roast and it is delicious, my daughter and fiancé loved it and the slices are wonderful and juicy 5 days later.

I love roast beef but these days I do not mess around with a hot oven much. My last standing rib roast was done on my grill at about 500 with the lid shut. This past Sunday I did a braised pot roast on top of the range. You can use just about any kind of lean roast. Brown it, throw in some beef stock/boullion and wine, throw in some seasoning, and braise until fork tender (2-3 hours). Throw in some root veggies and cook another 30-45 minutes depending on how big they are. So easy and so good. I usually use salt, pepper, a couple cloves of garlic, and a good dose of Italian seasoning.
    You can go with any seasonings you like. Just keep an eye on it and add water if necessary.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/