Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Dinner Roast

What cut of meat are you using? Those that are very lean are most likely to turn out dry.

When I make an oven roast (often using an eye of round roast), I either use the high temperature Joy of Cooking method (425F for 20 minutes, then turn down to 350F for 20 min./lb.) or the oven-turn-off method (preheat oven to 500F, put in roast and turn down to 475F, roast for 21 minutes (seven minutes per pound) then turn off the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the door at all during this time!). For medium rare, your internal temperature should be 135-140F.

I cover the roast with a favorite barbecue sauce and place in a shallow roasting pan. I don't include veggies...I cook those separately (I prefer a baked or re-baked potato and sautéed onions or mushrooms).

(KLD)

Yes, very lean cuts. Never heard of the BBQ sauce idea before - sounds good! If I can find one without sugar - brother's diabetic.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

My favorite cheap roast is a chuck roast, great flavor
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    the oven-turn-off method (preheat oven to 500F, put in roast and turn down to 475F, roast for 21 minutes (seven minutes per pound) then turn off the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the door at all during this time!). For medium rare, your internal temperature should be 135-140F.
    (KLD)
    turn off the oven method is amazing! I like to use it especially for making cold roast beef because the roast will have a nice crust and the interior is uniformly medium rare. I like to rub it down well with garlic or use garlic powder, plus salt-and-pepper.

I am going to try that oven off method thanks!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

What cut of meat are you using? Those that are very lean are most likely to turn out dry.

When I make an oven roast (often using an eye of round roast), I either use the high temperature Joy of Cooking method (425F for 20 minutes, then turn down to 350F for 20 min./lb.) or the oven-turn-off method (preheat oven to 500F, put in roast and turn down to 475F, roast for 21 minutes (seven minutes per pound) then turn off the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the door at all during this time!). For medium rare, your internal temperature should be 135-140F.

I cover the roast with a favorite barbecue sauce and place in a shallow roasting pan. I don't include veggies...I cook those separately (I prefer a baked or re-baked potato and sautéed onions or mushrooms).

(KLD)
    My son and I had a couple of beef tenderloins the other night. I wish I had seen this method earlier. I am anxious to use it the next time and will definitely use it on the roasts I get at costco that will be fabulous done this way.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

cooking bags are always a good idea as well as injecting the meat to keep it very moist.

There is a big difference between dry roasting and pot roasting. Generally the more tender cuts of meat are dry roasted, like prime rib. Cuts like chuck roasts are best pot roasted or braised with vegetables and liquids like stock and wine.

A great technique for almost any cut of beef, pork or lamb and poultry (think roast chicken or the Thanksgiving day turkey) is dry salt brining. This year for Thanksgiving I will dry brine our turkey (but the basic principal can be applied to other meats). The method is as follows:
    For every 5 pounds of turkey, measure 1 Tablespoon of kosher salt. If you have a 15 pound turkey, you need 3 Tablespoons of kosher salt.
    ---Dry cavities and outside of turkey thoroughly with paper towels
    ---Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon into the body and neck cavities.
    ---Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon on the breast, wings top of thighs and legs
    ---Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon on the back of the turkey, thighs and legs
    ---Place the turkey into a brining bag or a turkey sized brown in/roasting bag.
    ---Close with a twist tie.
    ---Place the bagged turkey into another brining bag or brown in/roasting bag
    ---Close with a twist tie, place bagged turkey in a roasting pan
    ---Place roasting pan in the refrigerator for 3 days.
    ---On the 4th day remove the turkey from the refrigerator and remove bag.
    ---Place turkey on a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Do not cover
    ---Place turkey in the refrigerator and allow to air dry for at least 8 hours before roasting.
    ---When ready to roast the turkey, stuff cavities with rough chopped onions, celery, carrots, and sprigs of thyme, rosemary, and parsley
    ---Allow the turkey to stand at room temperature for 1-2 hours before roasting
    ---Preheat oven to 425°
    ---Roast turkey breast side DOWN or a v-rack for 30 minutes.
    ---Remove turkey from oven and reduce temperature to 325°
    ---Using wads of paper towels, grasp the turkey at the top and bottom and flip the turkey to the back, breast side UP. Add 1 cup water or unsalted stock to the roasting pan.
    ---Return turkey to oven and continue to roast for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the internal temperature taken at the meatiest part of the thigh reaches 165° as measured by a meat thermometer. Keep an eye on the pan juices so they don't smoke and burn. Add water or stock 1 cup at a time as needed.
    ---Remove turkey from the oven and transfer to a platter or cutting board.
    ---Tent turkey loosely with foil and allow to stand for 30-40 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, heat your side dishes and make gravy.

The turkey will be incredibly moist and well seasoned. This dry brine method is abundantly easier than a soaking brine where you use gallons of water. Note: Buy a turkey that has not been injected with any solutions. These solutions are already salty. Taste the pan drippings before making the gravy. You may not need to salt the gravy at all.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

(KLD)
    I just tried this method for a roast dinner with my son. I used an eye of round I got from costco...

I have never had a better roast in all of my life. I got the roasts at costco and they are among the least expensive of all the roasts they sell. I have cooked these using the traditional method for many years, but NEVER will again. I LOVE THIS METHOD!!! and cannot emphasise enough how good it was.

All through dinner we were moaning and mmm-ing. I think it would be great also with a boneless rib roast or a New York strip roast. I am going to the store right now to get one as it is on sale. Bye and thank you sovery much for sharing thiw method with us.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

1 chuck roast
    montreal steak seasoning
    garlic cloves
    carrots
    ruttabaga
    turnips
    beef broth and red wine
    i've done the forgetabout it method: set oven to 150 - 200, cut slits in the meat and stuff the garlic in. season the outside with the montreal steak seasoning.
    put the veggies on the bottom, add the meat and pour the liquid in. cover. put in oven for 4-6hrs while you sleep.

beef is ready to put into scrambled eggs in the morning

other way i do it is at 400 for 2 - 3hrs. i.... never used a thermometer when cooking. i touch it. rare is the same give as the skin below your bottom lip, med is the same give as your nose and well done is the same as your forehead.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/