Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Dinner Roast

Sunday Dinner Roast

I'm not a bad cook, just inconsistent, lol.

My last two roasts were dry, rock hard failures. I think my oven runs too hot as well. When I cooked for someone, I would add onions, garlic, dry spices. I like the Montreal steak spice but my ex hated it.

On my own I now use it, plus onion powder and garlic salt. I cut corners.

I'd like to experiment with wine now that 'someone with issues' doesn't live here anymore.

So how do you cook yours? I bought a roasting pan and only had one turn out well in it. I normally just use my Dutch oven.

Making lasagna today but might invite my bro for a roast dinner before Xmas.

How do you make yours? What - other than potatoes - do you put with yours?

(Eff that Yorkshire pudding crap ... it's not pudding!!! )
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

do you use a meat thermometer? if not, get one and let the temp get to medium rare, and let the roast sit at room temperature for half an hour. Montreal seasoning is good but try to find tony chacheres, I've used it for thirty years and it goes on everything except desserts, it's a little spicy, but not life threatening, good luck, also look up wolfmans posts, he'll make you drool!
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

i really like the crockpot when doing beef or pork roast's, sometimes in the winter i use the oven just to warm up the house........i do brown them first before putting them on.....lots of vegetables also, carrots, onions, garlic.....now my mom will always use her pressure cooker while doing roasts, i'm just not ever been comfortable using one.....

My ex insisted I sear meat as well ... I never noticed a difference, save for an extra pan to clean. lol. I guess I should finally get a meat thermometer.

I tend to leave things too long in the crackpot. Thank goodness my condo has a fire alarm that's far away from the kitchen!

I used to cook well ... out of practice I guess!?!?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have Roast, potatoes, and carrots in the crock pot right now. I prefer that method over the oven.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I've got a new wall oven with convection; you just inspired me to cook a roast

If your roast's are turning out dry, could be you need to add some liquid when it's baking. I use my crockpot mostly when making roasts and add veges and seasonings and use beef stock or bouillon cube with water. Making me hungry all this food talk......lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My ex insisted I sear meat as well ... I never noticed a difference, save for an extra pan to clean. lol. I guess I should finally get a meat thermometer.

I tend to leave things too long in the crackpot. Thank goodness my condo has a fire alarm that's far away from the kitchen!

I used to cook well ... out of practice I guess!?!?
    Searing meat seals it so the juices tend to stay in, I can cook on the grill or oven and it stays juicy, made a prime rib roast recently, it was wonderful, but a thermometer is essential.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I have Roast, potatoes, and carrots in the crock pot right now. I prefer that method over the oven.
    Sounds like yankee pot roast, I cook those right on the stovetop, you didn't forget the onions did you?

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    Sounds like yankee pot roast, I cook those right on the stovetop, you didn't forget the onions did you?
    Oh no....Onions are in there too. It smells delicious in here!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994