Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tires. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    . Paying attention to the lever tension is the best solution however. Once the nylon washer under the retaining nut is worn in there is seldom need to adjust it, from my experience.
    Why you don`t change the washer for a spring one?

If this is loosening issue, why don't you get nylon thread tape and put on bolt/screw? It not cost very mush at all. Only issue tape is usually only good 1 series of tightening. If loosen, you usually need remove tape and redo the work.
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 11-12-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I would not consider this a defect, it is in fact a maintenance issue. The actuating lever retaining nut requires periodic torquing. When the lever begins to feel easier to engage it is time to tighten the nut (7/16" wrench). I carry a small roll of tape in my to-go bag in case this happens so I can tape the lever in the unlock position, some may choose to carry a wrench. Paying attention to the lever tension is the best solution however. Once the nylon washer under the retaining nut is worn in there is seldom need to adjust it, from my experience.
    I am the lurker Stephen referred to. The failure I experienced is not a maintenance issue. Keeping the lever properly tightened is an obvious priority. The problem is indeed with the cable used. The locks have a dangerous design flaw. The tension of two cables is transferred to one within that sealed plastic box. The highly stressed single cable snapped. This happened on two separate sets. One caused me to flip over backwards completely. I've been using D's locks for over ten years, Steve H. is a great guy, but needs to address this or stop selling them.

The front caster rims clash with the yellow. Get some spray paint. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    I am the lurker Stephen referred to. The failure I experienced is not a maintenance issue. Keeping the lever properly tightened is an obvious priority. The problem is indeed with the cable used. The locks have a dangerous design flaw. The tension of two cables is transferred to one within that sealed plastic box. The highly stressed single cable snapped. This happened on two separate sets. One caused me to flip over backwards completely. I've been using D's locks for over ten years, Steve H. is a great guy, but needs to address this or stop selling them.
    That's terrifying.

I will probably see Steve at the show this weekend but I don't think he's going to change anything. I wonder if I could get my cable harness made at a bicycle shop. What do you think?

You're right, he won't change anything, as he is now more interested in his other projects. The fix would involve a complete redesign. In addition to the cable problem, the hardware to attach the hub hasn't been updated to fit LX wheels. The slots for the spokes aren't deep enough, leaving the screws exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    You're right, he won't change anything, as he is now more interested in his other projects. The fix would involve a complete redesign. In addition to the cable problem, the hardware to attach the hub hasn't been updated to fit LX wheels. The slots for the spokes aren't deep enough, leaving the screws exposed.
    That's my feeling too but I do wonder about having a bike shop make a cable harness for the D's Locks. They're the only part of the system I worry about. The hub-locks have made such a huge difference. I'm so happy I got them.

If I'm reading this thread correctly the default position is locked, that is stopped. So if a cable breaks or one of the cable connection slips the D's lock up. I think that is the work around needed to be looked at, stronger cables, double clamps or whatever.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    If I'm reading this thread correctly the default position is locked, that is stopped. So if a cable breaks or one of the cable connection slips the D's lock up. I think that is the work around needed to be looked at, stronger cables, double clamps or whatever.
    As Steve, the make of D's Locks says, it's a requirement that the failsafe of the hublocks be in the locked position. This unfortunately means that if there is a cable failure I'd be stuck. As far as I know Surelocks are required to work the same way. Nothing is risk free. I can only hope I don't have a problem. So far, not one. But down the road .. we'll see. I'm worried about the cable end at the lever breaking because that's what flexes the most (to my thinking). I don't want to have to learn another thing but I may have to learn how to build bike cables. The things I've had to learn because of wheelchairs.

Correct, moving the lever to the locked position, actually releases tension, allowing the pistons to deploy. Replacing the cables isn't an option for the end user.
    Grommet, are you referring to the plastic differential, for lack of a better term, or the switch itself?