Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: who said what, when?

who said what, when?

We often get posts saying that people were told "five more years till cure" twenty years ago (1992) or even thirty years ago (1982). If my memory serves me correctly, I think that I've even heard upwards to 35 years ago.

Whenever I've asked the people who make these claims who said what when, I've only ever gotten one vague response. I don't disbelieve that people were told this but I would like to hear the facts.

For example; Dr. X was working on Y in 19WW and he said that there would be a cure in five years.

I'm asking for this information for three reasons.
    1. For my own education. Since i've only been in a chair for three years, I'd like to know more about this information.

2. Without the full story, it tends to dishearten those with newer injuries to play an active role for cure as they think that this has been said for sooo many years that it's impossible.

3. If we know who said what, when, we can then properly discuss why this person was maybe not correct or maybe too over zealous.

When I was newly injured, these comments sometimes made me feel like it was all hopeless. That despite the good research that was going on, it was always the case so the same BS was being said now as in the past.

Therefore I ask those who regularly state this to tell us exactly what you know so that we can learn from past mistakes or false/over zealous claims as opposed to these comments being used like a stick against every new form or research.

PS. It was just alluded to in the Live From W2W thread.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

The Miami Project had an article in a medical journal during 1985. I was 12 so I don't know which one but this was told to me in emerge. Late July of 1985. Not sure how one would access a database that goes back to 27yrs of previous issues? It would be nice to find it and send it to them ... hah.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Go at the link below and read post #402

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=19747&page=41

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Go at the link below and read post #402

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=19747&page=41

Paolo
    Your lack of objectivity betrays you. The poster asked for cases in which Doctor X said the cure would be available in Year Y. This is what Dr. Young says in post #402:

Let me try to answer your question concerning "possible cure". I continue to believe that a cure is not only possible but imminent if we have sufficient resources for the research.
    and
    I don't know where the first curative therapy will come from but I am confident that it will come. The first therapy is always the hardest.

There is no such prediction in the words above. Notice how he qualifies the first statement with "if we have sufficient resources."
    And it's the same with the "discrepancy" from the Spinal Cord Workshop and the preliminary results of the Phase 2 that he spoke of. He said originally that some patients are walking. He has not retracted this, in fact he has said it again. Anything else you inferred from that, from bladder to bowel to sexual function to improved sensation, YOU did that. Honestly, I don't blame you, as my heart sunk a little just the same when I watched him say that. Maybe it's easier for me to say this, because I'm less than a year post injury, but we all need to take control of our emotions and expectations. It would serve us well...
    Last edited by ay2012; 11-10-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    Your lack of objectivity betrays you. The poster asked for cases in which Doctor X said the cure would be available in Year Y. This is what Dr. Young says in post #402:

Let me try to answer your question concerning "possible cure". I continue to believe that a cure is not only possible but imminent if we have sufficient resources for the research.
    and
    I don't know where the first curative therapy will come from but I am confident that it will come. The first therapy is always the hardest.

There is no such prediction in the words above. Notice how he qualifies the first statement with "if we have sufficient resources."
    And it's the same with the "discrepancy" from the Spinal Cord Workshop and the preliminary results of the Phase 2 that he spoke of. He said originally that some patients are walking. He has not retracted this, in fact he has said it again. Anything else you inferred from that, from bladder to bowel to sexual function to improved sensation, YOU did that. Honestly, I don't blame you, as my heart sunk a little just the same when I watched him say that. Maybe it's easier for me to say this, because I'm less than a year post injury, but we all need to take control of our emotions and expectations. I would serve us well...
    ay2012,

perhaps your lack of objectivity betrays you.

I think that the questions of alexia and the answer of Wise is rilevant to the question that Dennis has asked.
    I have red what Wise has said, so I was trying to provide an objective view of the problem.
    Sometimes a doctor may have said he/she thought that in the future there could be a cure, but it would take at least 5 years and the patient report it as " I was told there will be a cure in 5 years".
    I know that the conditional it is hard to understand in many lenguages and that some languages don't even have the conditional.
    Sadly sometimes that can cause misunderstandings.

BTW, I was told by several doctors that there could be a cure in the future, but no one has ever guaranteed me a time frame.

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 11-10-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

5 years is figurative and translates into a cure will happen sometime in the future. Trying to pin doctors down on this is a waste of time.
    Last edited by Patton57; 11-10-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Pubmed should go back to the era Jen mentioned?

Ive always been told its around five years away scince 1990 through the Dr and the SCS news letter so soon gave up on nthe newsletter as it was ovious that i was unable read that well between the lines or maybe i was looking for things that were not fully readyd yet or there

I know it will come but don't know when all i know is death looks like a comforting friend at times

CAS, I hear you, thx for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    5 years is figurative and translates into a cure will happen sometime in the future. Trying to pin doctors down on this is a waste of time.
    Actually, when people use it to beat down cure it's not said figuratively. There are no quotation marks and there is nothing to indicate that it is figurative. I think that newer people tend to read it as a denial of hope as "we've heard that before".

I hope those who have made the comments come forth with their knowledge about what doctor, said what, when.
    Someday when I have more than ten free minutes i'll have a look for the people who said it and what they said.

So if people have more information, I'm more than grateful to have it.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King