Thread: Is there a way to lock the left mouse button?

Blog Entries

Is there a way to lock the left mouse button?

The need for two functional hands to highlight a web article is pushing me toward defeat. I don't use a mouse, but a wireless keyboard with a trackball on one side and the mouse button on the other. Is there a way to activate the left mouse button, so I need only move the trackball to highlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    The need for two functional hands to highlight a web article is pushing me toward defeat. I don't use a mouse, but a wireless keyboard with a trackball on one side and the mouse button on the other. Is there a way to activate the left mouse button, so I need only move the trackball to highlight?
    You can do it with the keyboard:
    With the cursor at the beginning of what you want to mark and then shift/click at the end and everything in between will be highlighted.
    Doh!

Blog Entries
    I had a trackball years ago that would let you left click by pushing down on the ball. Don't know if yours works like that, but it's worth a try.Things getting back to normal in your area of NJ? My sister and her husband from down in Chester took of for Florida yesterday to soothe their nerves
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I have a Kensington trackball mouse that in the preferences allows me to select one of the four buttons to be a click and drag button so I can tap that select whatever I want and then tap it again to deselect it. Maybe your mouse and keyboard combination has some of the same settings that you can look for.
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

At least with Windows 7, you can go into control panel -> mouse and turn on the "ClickLock". I have this set up with my Kensington trackball so that if I hold down the bottom right button for about a second it locks the button on so that I can then remove my hand, move the cursor around as I'd like (i.e. highlight text or resize window) and then when I click that button again it releases the button.

Best way I've found to use a computer as a quad.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Here's a quick look at the clicklock that he's talking about:

This is Windows XP but it's the same thing on Windows 7
    I use it all the time to select stuff
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Just wrote a bunch more about my whole Kensington Expert Trackball setup, and what mouse settings I've found make it easiest for me to use a computer.

Read more and see pictures at Mouse for a Quadriplegic – Kensington Expert Trackball.
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Mouse

Mouse keys and sticky keys via System Preferences / Universal Access?

If you are an Emacs user you may like ratpoison or screen as your windowing environment.