Thread: Castor help

Castor help

My chair. Tilite ZR2. Standard Tilite forks, 4x1 tilite soft rolls.

Both castors have messed up bearings. Too much dog hair I think.

Should I just replace the bearings if the tires are good? If so, where is the best place to buy?

If I go for new castors, am I going to have trouble getting something the fits the standard TiLite forks?
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

You can just replace the bearings. Most wheelchair casters use 608-2RS bearings. The 608 code will be stamped on the bearing seal. 2RS means each bearing has Rubber Seals on both (2) sides. Look for the 608 or a similar code on a bearing. If the code is not 608, post it. 608 is a standard roller-skate/skateboard bearing available at any skate shop or online. I use Bones SuperReds.

Changing bearings is easy if you have the right tools, which are cheap. You can also disassemble and clean your existing bearings if you're so inclined. If you post what you'd like to do (replace or clean), I'll post some instructional links for you.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Blog Entries
    If hair is a problem in your house as it is in mine, I'd replace the standard forks with FrogLegs Unitine forks. I only get hair on one side, and it is pretty easy to pull off, but if it gets bad, it only takes me 5 minutes to pull off both wheels, clean them up, and put them back on. Swapping out the forks was about a 20 minute job for both. I upgraded to Frogleg 5"x 1.4" softrolls at the same time.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Should I just replace the bearings if the tires are good? If so, where is the best place to buy?

?

Replace bearings.

Thanks for the replies.

My bearing say r6rs. Are these going to be the same size as the 608-2rs?

I may go for some new wheels or even the Unitines. But still want bearings to fix my current castors.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Donno; 11-11-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Wrong link
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

My bearing say r6rs. Are these going to be the same size as the 608-2rs?

I may go for some new wheels or even the Unitines. But still want bearings to fix my current castors.
    The R6 is different than 608; they are not inter-changeable. You have TiLite's performance casters, and they will not fit on FrogLegs Unitine forks because the axle size is different.

Now that you know you need R6 bearings, the next question is what quality bearings you want. R6 bearings can cost from $2 each to $70+ each (plus shipping) depending on materials.

Personally I would like these (R6-2RS with stainless races and ceramic balls), or these (R6-2RS with stainless races and balls). But, if budget is an issue, these will do well (R6-2RS with chromed steel races and bearings). You can search VXB's site for "R6-2RS" or "R6-RS" to see more choices. RS bearings are sealed only on one side - install them so the sealed side is exposed.

I have never bought bearings from the supplier I linked. If you have another supplier choice, you can use this supplier's nomenclature; it's standard across the bearing industry.

Tools required to change bearings:
    - mallet and punch (or screw driver) to knock out the old bearings (catch and keep the spacers between the old bearings - you'll need to reinstall them).
    - bolt, nut, and washers (and wrenches) to squeeze the new bearings into place. Don't pound them in; chances of damaging bearings and wheels is high if you pound. A hardware store should have the bolt, nut, and washers you'll need. You may have to stack washers on each side - the contact washer on each side should squeeze against the outside race of the bearing so you don't damage it. REMEMBER to reinstall the spacers - they keep the bearings from deforming when you tighten the axles.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 11-12-2012 at 03:18 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks for all the detailed info. I ordered some bearings.