Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TiLite Series 3 came in

New TiLite Series 3 came in

After a short wait of 3 weeks, SportAid delivered the TiLite Series 3 wheelchair with measurements I had help with getting from this site. It is a huge improvement over my Quickie GT and reminds me why I'm a believer in TiLite wheelchairs. Compared to an older TiLite TRC, I went with the following major changes:

1) It has an 3.5" dump, which is an increase of 0.5".
    2) The front frame is built with a 85 degree angle and has an added frame depth of an inch.
    3) It has 5 by 1.5 inch plastic caster wheels installed; the other chair is set up with 4" Performance Aluminum Wheel with poly tire
    4) The rear wheels come with Q-Grip handrims; plain vinyl coated handrims are what I've been using for years.

Changing the front frame angle was probably the most dramatic decision. But with a less steep angle, my feet are positioned much better and so far, I'm able to get by without my feet popping off with each crack or height difference. There's also less pressure being applied to my feet so my skin seems to be in better shape. I'm also very happy with the increased frame since it plants the chair and increases its overall length.

I wish I had known about 1.5 width caster wheels earlier. It has made a world of difference for the better with my ability to climb over uneven surfaces. With my other caster wheels, the smallest height difference sent a jolt through the chair.

I think the increased dump will take a little more getting used to. Aside from making transfers a little more difficult, with my seat angle originally set at 95 degrees, I had difficulty sitting upright with the chair giving me a partly opened "clam" look. While maneuvering the chair took less effort, in stationary position, I couldn't sit with my arms held out without tipping forward. Since then, I've made adjustments to my angle, making it more open at around 98 degrees.

It's the Q-Grip handrims that makes pushing much more efficient. I've been using the vinyls all along and while they got the job done, they are no match against the Q-Grips. Not to mention, I no longer have the problem of losing my balance which happened regularly when my palms slipped off the vinyl rims.

I have a few questions about installing some parts:

1) I'd like to install a BodyPoint pelvic support belt but can't figure out how to get it installed. If you look at the photo of the seat back mount, I'm sure the end fitting mounts where the allen screw at the bottom left is at. Am I supposed to remove the allen screw altogether and put in the new screw in its place? I was looking at the parts page for the seatbelt on TiLite's site and it lists washers as a needed part. But there's no mention of washers in the instruction manual....are they necessary for installing?

2) The composite push to lock brakes have a curved "handle". Can older compact push to lock brakes with the straight handle be installed into the brake mount on the TR Series 3 chair?

3) I am also interested in replacing the 5 by 1.5 inch caster wheels with Frog Legs caster wheels (with aluminum hub) that are sized 5 by 1.4 inch. I understand that there should be no space between the wheel and fork so do I need something like a spacer to account for the .1" difference in width size?

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback on measurements in an earlier post. I'm better off with my new chair and feel like a lot more can be done in it.
    Last edited by underthesun; 11-01-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by underthesun View Post
    3) I am also interested in replacing the 5 by 1.5 inch caster wheels with Frog Legs caster wheels (with aluminum hub) that are sized 5 by 1.4 inch. I understand that there should be no space between the wheel and fork so do I need something like a spacer to account for the .1" difference in width size?

it.
    You don`t have to do anything, you`ve got softroll froglegs plastic hub, so you only have to replace the caster for the aluminium one.

Under, congratulations and thanks for the info on the changes you made. I'm considering some for the TR3 I plan to get. It's scary to make a permananent expensive change but sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best. For one thing, I am planning to change my front frame angle from 90 to 85 degrees. If I get a chance to try an 80 I might choose that. Some other changes too.

Thank for the pics. The seatback side bracket looks like a new deisgn, I'll take a close look when I am at the Abilities Expo later this month.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    You don`t have to do anything, you`ve got softroll froglegs plastic hub, so you only have to replace the caster for the aluminium one.
    Got it...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Under, congratulations and thanks for the info on the changes you made. I'm considering some for the TR3 I plan to get. It's scary to make a permananent expensive change but sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best. For one thing, I am planning to change my front frame angle from 90 to 85 degrees. If I get a chance to try an 80 I might choose that. Some other changes too.

Thank for the pics. The seatback side bracket looks like a new deisgn, I'll take a close look when I am at the Abilities Expo later this month.
    Thanks! I took a while to convince myself to take a few risks on the changes. That would be great if you can trial the different changes before you commit.

Thanks! I took a while to convince myself to take a few risks on the changes. That would be great if you can trial the different changes before you commit.
    A Tilite TR3 is supposed to be at the San Jose Abilities Expo according to the folks at Tilite. I want to take a good look. I do hope they have more than one and one with an 85 or 80 degree front end but since it's a show there may just be one to see. Just a couple of weeks to go and I can see a whole bunch of stuff I wish I didn't need, know I can't afford but will probably make my life better. God I wish I was rich ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    A Tilite TR3 is supposed to be at the San Jose Abilities Expo according to the folks at Tilite. I want to take a good look. I do hope they have more than one and one with an 85 or 80 degree front end but since it's a show there may just be one to see. Just a couple of weeks to go and I can see a whole bunch of stuff I wish I didn't need, know I can't afford but will probably make my life better. God I wish I was rich ;-)
    I know that feeling. Hope you find the TR3 there. You're lucky to have an Expo nearby just in time for wheelchair shopping.

I know that feeling. Hope you find the TR3 there. You're lucky to have an Expo nearby just in time for wheelchair shopping.
    Oh it's not time for wheelchair shopping - at least not buying. I am flat out broke. My last big recent purchase was my D's Locks and they're great. I don't ever want a chair without them. But they were $520! They cost as much as my Spinergy LX wheels. I haven't got any more money to buy anything right now but .. I sometimes somehow find a way if I find something I really know would be worth it or this will just be research for when I am ready to buy. Plus it's fun to see the new stuff. It's motivating to see something great, it can stir you into doing more than you thought you could. That's another reason I go to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    grommet didn't you just get the icon also? that is my dream chair i think cause i am always on dirt and such on the farm my current chair has taken a real beating on the farm. i have a chair just for there now since i got my new one at the beginning of the year.
    The Icon didn't work out for me and it went back. They were incredibly nice, really great folks at Icon. I'll be staying with a box frame without suspension and the TR3 seems like the right one for me. My TR2 has never let me down. No parts problems, no loosening, no breakage. The TR3 looks really interesting. I'm also interested in the Oracing XTR but, they aren't for sale in the U.S. and as I understand it they are not currently approved by the USFDA as a medical device so importation would be a problem. The show is in a couple of weeks and I'll finally be able to see a TR3 in person and I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully there will be some other great stuff to see at the show too.

I ordered a TR3 titanium a few weeks ago. Did not want suspension, because I was concerned about how much energy the suspension absorbs before it ever go to the wheels and moving. Do you have any idea energy loss between rigid and suspension? There are a pile of other factors for that, but how much energy the suspension absorbs?