Thread: racing chairs

racing chairs

I really would love to try wheelchair racing sometime, but I do not know anyone around my area with a racing chair I can just sit in and get an idea... I realize they are custom chairs, so the fit would not be perfect, but I don't want to apply for a grant through CAF without ever sitting in a racing chair!

I am in Orange County, CA. Anyone around here with a racing chair, or know a place I can try one out for a few minutes? Thanks for the help

Are you looking for a road racing chair or something to use in track & field type events??

Try contacting the recreation therapists at one of the following rehab centers. They might be able to hook you up with someone:

St. Jude (Fullerton)
    http://www.stjudemedicalcenter.org/O...ilitation.aspx

UCI (Irvine)
    http://www.healthcare.uci.edu/pmr.asp

Rancho Los Amigos (Downey):
    http://www.rancho.org/ServiceReint_WCSports.aspx

(KLD)

I raced chairs for years. It will beat you up. Hard on hands, shoulders, back. You might try a crank bike. Seems to be all the rage.

It would be cool to do long jump and triple jump.

You can also do a search on California Paralympic Sport Clubs at http://findaclub.usparalympics.org/ to see if there's anything near you.

Racing's a blast, and if you're interested in triathlon you need to have both a handcycle and a pushrim racer.

It wont beat you up. I do both handcycle and race chair, and honestly the handcycle hurts my shoulders more than the racer. The back...now that's a different story. Anyway, the race chair is awesome. It will keep you in shape. I can knock out a 10k in the racer and feel like I got a workout. It takes 20 - 30 miles in the handcycle to get the same workout. You really do need a custom fit chair for the racer though. I'll do a little research and see if I can find someone close to Orange County.

I just looked at a map. I didnt realize how far south Orange County is. Everyone I know are from Northern Cali near San Fran...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellK View Post
    I really would love to try wheelchair racing sometime, but I do not know anyone around my area with a racing chair I can just sit in and get an idea... I realize they are custom chairs, so the fit would not be perfect, but I don't want to apply for a grant through CAF without ever sitting in a racing chair!

I am in Orange County, CA. Anyone around here with a racing chair, or know a place I can try one out for a few minutes? Thanks for the help

Would be nice too if you could go to a big race and check out the chairs and maybe hook up with someone who will let you sit in their chair and try it out. Hope you contact the places suggested by SCI Nurse.
    I was in about 100 races in a race-chair. Started with a used one, then several new ones, keeping up with the design changes. I never had aches and pains after a race. Then when my senior years set in, I switched to a handcycle for a few years, which was easier on my shoulders. Loved both of them! By the way once you sit in a race chair you will want to try it out for much longer than a few minutes.