Thread: Colostomy Surgery Recovery time

Colostomy Surgery Recovery time

I've decided to 'take the plunge', so-to-speak, and have scheduled a colostomy on 11/09/12. That’s pretty soon, but I've been researching the idea for about a year. I sort of stumbled on 'colostomy' while looking around on this forum and found a LOT of good information including other websites to research the procedure and how to manage the ostomy after the surgery (thanks, btw).

I went to see a ColonRectal Surgeon just to get some information and before I knew it, he had scheduled the surgery and referred me to an Ostomy Nurse. I was a little nervous about how fast that all happened but felt MUCH better after speaking with the Ostomy Nurse – marking the site, going over some appliance samples, etc.

And I keep reading real life examples of those sci folks who have done it and by far the most popular phrase is “I wish I had done it years ago…”

I know that different people have different rates of recovery from the surgery, but I’d like some input by those who've had the surgery. I work full time in an office and thinking 4-6 weeks post surgery will be sufficient time to get back to 85-90% (with the option of possibly returning sooner per doctor’s okay).

I’m a little nervous, but excited. Each time I think perhaps I really don’t need to have the surgery, I wake up smelling something in my drawers reminding me that perhaps it’s time…

I just got mine on sept. 25th. I couldn't be happier. I was in the hospital a little longer then usual because it took me 5 days before having a bowel movement. Once I did they released me. I felt comfortable with it within weeks. I also work in a office and sometimes it will let out farts. But everybody so far has been cool. Even the customers. They pretend they didn't hear it. Changing the appliance isn't hard. If you have any questions please ask.

All abdominal surgeries have a minimum 6 week "officia"l recovery time for everyone with restrictions of -taking it easy, no heavy lifting, minimal straining, etc. The bowels are different in every one and of course the effectsof anesthesia but it probably takes a good 4 weeks to feel almost back to normal and 6 to 8 to feel normal so I would make plans for that long just in case. It seems like you searched and read other posts in the pasts but most love it after they have itand there are numerous past posts on the subject and now adays even less invasive procedures.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery for the holidays!!!!
    CWO

Thanks you guys for responding. Yes, I have read up on the colostomy. The main thing that concerns me are making transfers shortly after I get home. I have to txfr to a transport chair to fit in the bathroom door among other txfr's. Should I be overly concerned as long as I keep txfr's to a minimum as possible? Already mentioned that to the surgeon's nurse who will get back with me, but I don't fully trust what the surgeon might recommend when it comes to P.T. stuff (not his expertise).

It took me around 6 weeks for everything to calm down! I irrigate now and haven't had this much peace of mind and freedom in 18 years. I love it so much that I want to tell everyone but unfortunately I don't think the "walkies" will appreciate my excitement as much as you guys. Thank goodness for this forum and UOAA!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by echairman View Post
    Thanks you guys for responding. Yes, I have read up on the colostomy. The main thing that concerns me are making transfers shortly after I get home. I have to txfr to a transport chair to fit in the bathroom door among other txfr's. Should I be overly concerned as long as I keep txfr's to a minimum as possible? Already mentioned that to the surgeon's nurse who will get back with me, but I don't fully trust what the surgeon might recommend when it comes to P.T. stuff (not his expertise).
    I'm a c6-7 and I was tranfering the day I went home. Back to work in one week. I felt great.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I'm a c6-7 and I was tranfering the day I went home. Back to work in one week. I felt great.
    My surgery is 22nd my doc says i can go home necxtvvn.