Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want one of these

Blog Entries

I want one of these

I just don't want to ride around with a blanket on my lap. Many vintage photos of cripples in wheelchairs showed the lap blanket, do you suppose that the blanket was so people wouldn't have to look at crippled legs, or to keep your legs warm.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Isn't that the one Patrick built back in 1904? Just kidding Patrick, lol.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Yes! Freewheel 1904.

Probably both on the blankets. No central heat. But I am sure it was to hide them as well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I think it was easier for artist to draw... and made for a better picture....

Blog Entries
    Efficiency. I often don't bother with bottoms if I'm not going anywhere. But you have to be ready in case the UPS guy needs a signature.

That last sentence began as "You have to be ready for the UPS guy." But I thought a little more precision was in order.
    Last edited by Random; 11-04-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I just don't want to ride around with a blanket on my lap. Many vintage photos of cripples in wheelchairs showed the lap blanket, do you suppose that the blanket was so people wouldn't have to look at crippled legs, or to keep your legs warm.

Warmth and fashion I think Donno, you often see pictures taken back then of car passengers with tartan blankets over their laps.

lol Curt, Wish I had one like it now. Mine first used a kitchen chair for a seat. Here's a photo of it with it's last updated seat I bought out of a car racing magazine. She went thru many modifications thru the years before my first Freedom Ryder that was still being made one at a time in Texas; around '81 I think

I would love to have one of those also Donno. May investigate getting one built. Would offer a whole different way to propel. Maybe a Widget with a built in frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    ...you often see pictures taken back then of car passengers with tartan blankets over their laps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    ... to keep your legs warm.
    Don't forget, that was before the Great Global Warming when it never got over 40 degrees all summer!

Seriously, most cars where open back then and my guess is that's how you had to dress just to stay warm. It was a prestigious thing to ride in a car so I imagine the illustrator drew it the same way. In reality you'd work up a sweat propelling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Maybe a Widget with a built in frame?
    My first thought on seeing the picture

Donno that is a kool picture but my demo one was pink with stone wheels which built up momentum
    The Long levers were made of 3 inch steel tubing with a big bowling ball hole fingery setup for better grip on each lever

Boy if life was as easy as that picture lol