Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: negativity from doctors about recovery?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

negativity from doctors about recovery?

I understand that every SCI is different. I understand that doctors go from their previous experience and text book answers. I also understand that a doctors job is to also prepare the family for the worst so that the patient is released into a stable environment. What I don't understand is why every doctor we have spoken with since my husbands injury in September feels the need always put a negative spin on everything. My husband is classifed as an C5 Incomplete, Asia B. Since he has been in rehab he has regained the use of both triceps, his index finger and his thumb on his left hand, and more recently is now able to move his foot and flex the muscles in his left leg. Every time he gets a new movement he lets his doctor know, not only because he is excited but also because he knows this is information that they need to know. Every time he tells his doctors he doesn't even get a smile from them, but a "thats good, but try not to get too excited because this may be all the return you get." He has been told that EVERY time he gains a new movement. We understand this, trust me - I am coming to peace with how my husbands condition is on a day to day basis but why do they feel the need to always knock you back down? It has only been 7 weeks since my husbands injury and he already has back much more than they expected. I'm not sure what exactly I expect from them, but a "congratulations" or a smile every now and then might help.

I'm sure 99% of CareCure members will echo your experience. Hope seems to be something doctors are advised not to give out. Not even a little bit.

On the positive side, celebrate the return. Every little bit helps on the journey ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I'm sure 99% of CareCure members will echo your experience. Hope seems to be something doctors are advised not to give out. Not even a little bit.

On the positive side, celebrate the return. Every little bit helps on the journey ahead.

VQ's right, however, in defense of the medical profession there's nothing worse than false hope.

Also return can encourage some to just sit around waiting for full return which never comes instead of getting on with life and making the most of what they have.

What Timaru said.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan103 View Post
    I'm not sure what exactly I expect from them, but a "congratulations" or a smile every now and then might help.
    Have you said that to them?? To your case manager?? Written a letter to the rehab center administrator? While we don't want to give false hope, we DO celebrate even the tiny gains we see in our clients...and we teach our staff that this is part of their job.

Where is he getting rehab?

(KLD)

The first five minutes of meeting my/the rehab doctor, he made sure that I knew that I was f'd for life. He also made sure to remind me throughout my stay.

The happiest I had ever seen the guy is when he brought his dog to work. I thought he was going to dry hump it right in my bed. Dude was a freak.

The main problem with doctors is....they beleive in medical "science". In "science" there are "laws" that have a cause and an effect. Things seldom deviate from what the "laws" dictate. As "scientists" its part of their job to educate us ignorant patients as to what the "law" says. If the "law" predicts an outcome other than what the patient would like, so be it.

IMHO, it would be better if doctors realized they were actually "artists", practising the medical arts. It would give them a new perspective on "thinking outside the box" and going beyond what they were taught in medical school.

While, yes, it is true that if a physician is 100% certain that all of the "Presents with" symptoms exactly fit an accepted diagnosis, chances are very high that the outcome will fit what the textbook says, a medical artist would notice the minor inconsistencies with the accepted diagnosis and investigate other avenues of treatment.

Too often, doctoring is just another job.

I couldn't disagree more that there is nothing worse than false hope. People live on false hope everyday. "Study real hard son and you can be President." "If you work hard enough you can make the big leagues." Based upon percentages (on which the doctors are basing their prognosis) the likelihood of becoming President or becoming a professional athlete are very very slim.
    Know whats worth than false hope. Taking away hope from someone. Who the fu#k are they to decide what you can or can't hope for?

But don't you think that false hope can lead to unrealistic expectations? The best approach is probably cautious optimism.

The worst thing a doctor (Head of Neurology at a major University Hospital) was "The Mayo says you have MS. You're 66, live with it. I've got 25 yr olds to treat. Go home. Get some PT. It might not get worse. Don't come back unless it does".

Do 25yr olds pay better than 66 yr olds?