Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quadra & Lightweight Wheelchair Revolution

Quadra & Lightweight Wheelchair Revolution

for those old enough to remember...

I was injured in 78' and recall the feeling of seeing my, "first Quadra" from there to Quickie, interesting story and well told by Bob Vogel in New Mobility :

http://www.newmobility.com/articleViewIE.cfm?id=12233

What a great read.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Boy what a blast from the past. I remember meeting Brad and Dave at a tournament in Honolulu. THey brought their ridgids with them for the first time.

George Boshko had the first Quadra in Canada, I had the second. Also had one of their first track chairs. Basically a stretched out chair made of heavy material.

The first models didn't have a caster housing adjustment so to get the dump we wanted and trying to get the wheels as close to 90o was done by using a threaded piece of steel for axels. If the metal was too soft, the caster would suddenly collapse underneath you and dig into the basketball court. I spent literally hours and hours dialing in the chair as it had to be custom done.

Thanks Ches, the Quadra was a great chair for a first and the first Quickies are still a great chair.

Great story! So thankful for the new chairs out there and an appreciation for how they all began.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Boy what a blast from the past. I remember meeting Brad and Dave at a tournament in Honolulu. THey brought their ridgids with them for the first time.

George Boshko had the first Quadra in Canada, I had the second. Also had one of their first track chairs. Basically a stretched out chair made of heavy material.

The first models didn't have a caster housing adjustment so to get the dump we wanted and trying to get the wheels as close to 90o was done by using a threaded piece of steel for axels. If the metal was too soft, the caster would suddenly collapse underneath you and dig into the basketball court. I spent literally hours and hours dialing in the chair as it had to be custom done.

Thanks Ches, the Quadra was a great chair for a first and the first Quickies are still a great chair.
    Hey Patrick,

I was thinking as I read, that you probably knew some of the "West Coasters" & athletes.

Agree with you on Quadra and my first Quickie was an excellent chair, changed the whole user/chair relationship.

Great to see all the innovations that keep coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Hey Patrick,

I was thinking as I read, that you probably knew some of the "West Coasters" & athletes.

Agree with you on Quadra and my first Quickie was an excellent chair, changed the whole user/chair relationship.

Great to see all the innovations that keep coming.

Our idea of a sportschair was an E&J or Stainless folder with smaller wheels and heavy sleeves that went into the caster housing, added around 7lbs to the already 50lb lightweight.

Yeah knew most of them. Was a really small group. A person usually did three or four events at Nationals, the Olympics or Stoke Mandelville games back then.

Thanks for the flashback. I would have little hesitation using an old Quickie GP but sure appreciate the newer ones.

Speaking of making do back in the day. Wasn't there a way you could put camber in a old E&J folder? Pat you or one of the other guys must have shown my parents? I know I ran with that modification until got rid of that chair.

Our wheelchair b'ball team bought Quadras and my wife and I purchased 2 for ourselves. I had a gold folder, my wife a maroon rigid. One of the 1st places we visited with our new chairs was the Detroit Institute of Arts. The floors are marble and tile and we just flew around, after years of E&J lead sleds it was like a dream. Later we got into wheelchair road racing, my 1st chair was a Stainless race chair, when you came to a corner you turned the steering handles and the chair continued straight. My wife decided to try racing as well and bought a used Quadra race chair from a crip that a lot of you have bought chairs from. I wish we had saved our Quadras, so interesting to read the great story of their development.

I still have my 1981 red rigid Quadra. It is in great shape and as the article said, pretty much indestructable. I bought it with the stocker 24 inch wheels plus the optional 27 inch racing rims with the thought of doing marathons. I never really could get the 27 inch wheels to work right with the chair and therefore never really got into wheelchair racing, glad I did not, my shoulders are still good after 31 years of T-4 parahood. It was a shame though too that I did not get into wheelchair tennis at the time, did that within the last 5 years, I'm a late bloomer I guess. I played a serious amount of tennis as a/b in the 70's. At the time I got so motivated to get my engineering degree and become an engineer I did not do a lot of things I probably should have done. But ya, it was a great chair, I travelled all over the country with it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

This is an interesting thread, will somebody please put up a pic or two of the Quadra?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.