Thread: Next Storm

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Next Storm

I was thinking about ways to be better prepared for the next storm. In no particular order:

1. Jury rig the release cable on my garage door. When the van is parked, the release mechanism is out of reach. Longer term get battery back up on next garage door opener.

2. See if there's a way to allow a gas water heater to work without power. Longer term see if any new units work without house power.

3. Find a grate to put in the gas fireplace that would provide a cooking surface. If not buy a camp stove. Longer term see what a gas stove would cost when electric needs to be replaced.

Anyone else?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

We have natural gas and I had a standby generator installed which cranks up 10 seconds after power failure. Mine does not carry our a/c, oven or stovetop but nearly everything else; well pump, furnace, fridge, garage door, almost all lights, tv and computers, etc. If you don't have natural gas a simple conversion allows standby generators to operate off propane.

Long before getting the generator have had a Vermont Casting woodburning stove w catalytic converter. Once had 3 day pwr failure w temps nearing zero and blizzard winds. Cooked on the top just placing pans and pots on top surface. Temp in living rm was as high as 96F to keep furthest reaches of our small ranch at low 50's. No pipes froze.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    We have natural gas and I had a standby generator installed which cranks up 10 seconds after power failure. Mine does not carry our a/c, oven or stovetop but nearly everything else; well pump, furnace, fridge, garage door, almost all lights, tv and computers, etc. If you don't have natural gas a simple conversion allows standby generators to operate off propane.

Long before getting the generator have had a Vermont Casting woodburning stove w catalytic converter. Once had 3 day pwr failure w temps nearing zero and blizzard winds. Cooked on the top just placing pans and pots on top surface. Temp in living rm was as high as 96F to keep furthest reaches of our small ranch at low 50's. No pipes froze.
    Your natural gas fired generator would be useless in much of the area affected by sandy. One of the biggest problems soon after the storm hit was getting the gas turned off soon enough.