Thread: Popped newish roho cushions, what should I do?

Popped newish roho cushions, what should I do?

My kittens love my roho cushions unfortunately, luckily I kept my 6 yr old one as backup to the backup. I took one to a bike shop to see if it could patch it but the guy said he couldnt find the holes, that 3 cells didnt inflate but the holes must be real small. He asked if maybe the company could give him some advice. I need at least on fixed asap [i'm still healing a sore from when the first cushion that popped], do you guys think I should do it or just send them back to the company and how long does that take?
    Last edited by leschinsky; 10-31-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Tom, from the Roho company is often great with solving problems. He is usually very prompt too.

His info is in this post, among others.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...57&postcount=7
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I would inflate the ROHO and submerge it in a sink or bath tub of water and watch for the air bubbles to come out. Mark the locations with a crayon and then have it patched. This is how I have always found small holes in inner tubes.

I sent one to the factory for repairs once; it may have taken nearly a month (not sure, but certainly it was more than a week or 2). It was a cushion I had repaired a number of times & it had developed a leak right at a seam, where I couldn't fix it. I got a loaner, although I don't remember whether that was from the local DME or from Roho direct.
    What this guy says about the cushion sounds odd - if 3 cells don't inflate, there must be something blocking the air passages to them; that couldn't be caused by holes. That would be a job for the company, probably not the bike repair shop.
    I could always find very small holes (that would take a day to drop the cushion pressure noticeably) by overinflating the cushion, to where it bends itself backwards, and holding it under water in the bathtub, look for bubbles. A bit of soap helps to localize the holes. After a hole is found, stick a toothpick in the hole to mark it & let the cushion dry before patching it.

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    I could always find very small holes (that would take a day to drop the cushion pressure noticeably) by overinflating the cushion, to where it bends itself backwards, and holding it under water in the bathtub, look for bubbles. A bit of soap helps to localize the holes. After a hole is found, stick a toothpick in the hole to mark it & let the cushion dry before patching it.
    The soap idea is good. I have put soapy water in a spray bottle, and lightly sprayed the cushion. Saved me the trouble of dealing with a bathtub full of water from the chair.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

The soap trick works well. I have had to give up on Roho cushions for this reason: maintenance. The occasional leaks are awkward and difficult for me to repair.
    Used them for about 20 years, now use gel. (I have sensation and weight shift frequently).

As others have said, really over inflate the cushion and use the soapy water. Squeezing the cushion section by section can help too.

I do not understand why 3 cells will not inflate. I have gone through dozens of Rohos over years and never had that problem. If that is true something else is going on besides a leak.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

ok I had it wrong, 3 cells on the left compartment - it's a dual valve - inflate the rest do not! That cushion will have to go back o roho, I'll write tom thanks. I'll test the other cushion using Steph's easy method thanks.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

call them, they will send you a replacement cushion asap...and a return postage tag...they are quick and just give them your serial number..done. I have done it many times...and have only used ROHO since college....never had a wound.

PS I use a MID profile.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Hey les. Call ROHO direct, and if your cushion is under warranty, they'll send you a replacement pretty quickly, including a pre-paid return shipping label to send the defective cushion back. If you call them asap tomorrow a.m. you might get more immediate action than messaging thru here. It should only take a few days (or however long shipping is to you, roho is closer to me).

edit: sherocks beat me to it!