Thread: Car Tag

Car Tag

Unsure if this is the right place to post.

I'm to buy my handicap car tag this week and it's a crazy $383. I'm unsure why its so high, it's on a 2011 van but it was cheaper the first time I bought it. Is there any discounts or anything to help pay for tags for limited income?
    John-B

I think it depends on the state. When I was in med school in California things like that were expensive due to certain taxes. It was across the board not just for accessible plates. Here in Florida in order to get a new tag you just surrender one of your hanging placards and pay like $40 I think for the tag. Roughly the same price you pay for a new tag anyway. If you just use the placards you do not pay anything extra typically.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by 490 View Post

I'm to buy my handicap car tag this week and it's a crazy $383. I'm unsure why its so high, it's on a 2011 van but it was cheaper the first time I bought it. Is there any discounts or anything to help pay for tags for limited income?
    Does that include your regular registration too? If I surrender my current tags (I use a placard) during my registration month for HC tags then the HC tags are free. It depends on the state you live in but $383 does not sound right for ONLY the tags.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

I checked and everything I find is 20.00 for a disabled tag, free placard, did you just buy and register this vehicle? it could be taxes and fees.
    here is the application for the disabled tag.
    http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/p..._Form_MV9D.pdf
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I just looked up GA (assuming that is where you are at). It is a $20 fee for HC plates. The $383 must also include part or all of your registration/state taxes. Good luck.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

My hanging tag was free, but when I acquired HC plates, the entire vehicle registration was included. I still have the hanging tag for those rare occasions I ride along in my wife's car.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I bought the van in January. At the time the guy told me that included tax, tag, title and paid a tag transfer. I was just shocked when I saw it was $383. I don't have any placards.
    John-B

I bought the van in January. At the time the guy told me that included tax, tag, title and paid a tag transfer. I was just shocked when I saw it was $383. I don't have any placards.
    that'll do it.

can't get away from taxes........!