Thread: T3 Para / Woke up with limited function on left arm

Exclamation T3 Para / Woke up with limited function on left arm

I woke up this morning and felt like my left arm was asleep. after waiting 20-30 minutes it wasn't much better.. i didnt have function in my wrist/hand. went back to sleep and woke up a few hours later to the same sx. the tops of both arms feel numb and on the left hand have minimal strength.. cant grip with it, can barely type etc.

im very scared..what could be wrong??

Get to a hospital ER ASAP, it sounds like you may have had a stroke!!!
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Could be many things, and it's important with symptoms like that to get a medical diagnosis ASAP. In your shoes, I'd call my neurologist (since it's a weekend, it might only be possible to leave a message with the service), and then head directly to the ER. I wouldn't wait for a call-back. Many CNS problems can be successfully addressed early on, but they tend to get entrenched the longer one waits to seek help. Best wishes with this.

I don't have a neurologist yet.. My first appointment is Friday. Should I go to urgent care or Emergency Room?

Yes, if your arm is simply not asleep as can happen sleeping in the wrong position, but you'd know that by now as it should work itself out after waking up for 10 minutes or so. If longer than that something is wrong neurologically and should be looked at ASAP as I said and that would mean the ER at your closest hospital.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

ER... you likely need an MRI to find out what's up.

A month ago I had a vertebrae collapse onto my cord in a different location (T5) than my initial injury (C6) due to some unknown degeneration. Completely caught me off guard. I feel your stress here.

I would go to the ER (urgent care is one step away from the diagnostic equipment and specialized personnel you need). Go there right now, and ask that evaluation/exam/imaging reports be sent to the neurologist you'll be seeing on Friday, so that he/she can be better informed prior to your first appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    ...I had a vertebrae collapse onto my cord in a different location (T5) than my initial injury (C6) due to some unknown degeneration. Completely caught me off guard.
    This has happened to me, too...twice. jbridges9, the sooner you get diagnosed and treated, the better in terms of recovering function. The ER is the best place to go for that.

ER! And if within 3 hours of onset insist loudly you need a scan so if it is a stroke and due to a clot you get tPA to bust up the clot!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

If you haven't gone yet, go now. With numbness in both shoulders you may have refractured a bone or something and it is pushing toward your left side of the spinal cord. Any loss of function requires urgent care or the ER. Do not mess around with any loss or numbness above your injury level. The ER will find a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon if needed and a vascular, cardio-thorasic or neurologist/neurosurgeon can deal with strokes too.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.