Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freewheel

Freewheel

I am supposed to be looking into getting a Freewheel sometime this week. Now that good old Canadian winter has started to hit, I'm considering it quite seriously. I tried it once a couple years ago, but I was in a demo chair that didn't fit very well and DME couldn't seem to locate anti-tippers for said chair. Not a fun idea. At the time it really wasn't financially feasible to be honest, but, now that I'm working, it is. My DME will have to cut my footplate (good old TiLite angle adjustable plate) which I'd rather do than pay for a new footplate. Question being, before I commit to doing that and spending $500, is it worth it? Does it help when the snow is softer? ( I seem to remember it kind of "sinking" into the snow.) Does it help going up and down curbs? (for someone who needs anti-tippers?)

Thanks!

WG

The freewheel is great and helps a lot in snow:

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    I am supposed to be looking into getting a Freewheel sometime this week. Now that good old Canadian winter has started to hit, I'm considering it quite seriously. I tried it once a couple years ago, but I was in a demo chair that didn't fit very well and DME couldn't seem to locate anti-tippers for said chair. Not a fun idea. At the time it really wasn't financially feasible to be honest, but, now that I'm working, it is. My DME will have to cut my footplate (good old TiLite angle adjustable plate) which I'd rather do than pay for a new footplate. Question being, before I commit to doing that and spending $500, is it worth it? Does it help when the snow is softer? ( I seem to remember it kind of "sinking" into the snow.) Does it help going up and down curbs? (for someone who needs anti-tippers?)

Thanks!

WG

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    The freewheel is great and helps a lot in snow:

Right on! Thanks Tom!

what a great photo! I will be in San Fran in Nov..hope there is NOT snow! I am am travelling alone and can't bring my freewheel (
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    what a great photo! I will be in San Fran in Nov..hope there is NOT snow! I am am travelling alone and can't bring my freewheel (
    Like I would expose my kid to the liberal brainwashing in Kalifornia. She is safely tucked away in a very red section of the country

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Like I would expose my kid to the liberal brainwashing in Kalifornia. She is safely tucked away in a very red section of the country
    lol! (poor thing)
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I find the freewheel does not work well in soft snow, I am in Calgary and my freewheel only comes out in the summer where is works best on grass and trails.

Also double check your cost my understanding is that its now $600 to get it in Canada now(gotta pay the distributor)

And I find it does not help going up curbs, you still have to clear your casters

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Are you coming to the Abilities Expo? I'm going with girlfriend, it would be nice to see you there.

I will also be in SF in November.

Let's party!

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Are you coming to the Abilities Expo? I'm going with girlfriend, it would be nice to see you there.

YES! I will be coming in the 15-19th I am booked at Radisson..but need to change as I just realized it is 4 miles away!

SO yes, lets party! woot! I will pm you all my cell and we can connect up.