View Poll Results:

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • No... I'm not waiting, I would have left already if I could have

3 4.48%
  • No... I want a clinical trial here in the US

4 5.97%
  • Yes... I'm waiting for the procedure to give at least a little more recovery

10 14.93%
  • Yes... I'm waiting until the procedure can guarantee me a lot more recovery

43 64.18%
  • No... I already went to Beijing

7 10.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many are waiting for Beijing v2.0?

How many are waiting for Beijing v2.0?

Not everyone has flown to Beijing. Are some of us waiting for the next generation therapy?

I like to think of Dr. Huang's fetal OEG procedure with wide laminectomy as v1.0. Later, the two keyhole laminectomies above and below the injury site are like v1.1. Add in Methylprednisolone.... v1.2.

I like to think that within a year there will be Beijing v2.0. This would be a combination that either started with chondroitinase, or added db cAmp/Rollipram, or some other way of increasing recovery. Then, it'll be my turn to go!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

[This message was edited by Jeff on 11-12-04 at 12:11 PM.]

Interesting trend. I think implicit in the term "waiting" is that one is following the progress with a view toward going themself.

This was a bump, BTW.

When it could return use of my arms and hands, it would be worth it. When it gets there, I'm good.

-Steven
    ...'scuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp?

This poll suggests that there are few who have wanted to go but couldn't. That is great.

We are scheduled to go to Beijing in March 2005. We are anxious for any return we may get. It is a true fact, and I would like to point out, that no matter what the surgery, one must have excellant rehab following. This is indeed half the key to the surgery working.
    In addition, life is going by so many of us while we sit and wait for the BEST in surgery. We need to go for it and continue to strive for each and every thing thats offered in the way of potential surgeries for those of us who have already been waiting for so long. Each one of us will benifit in a different way from surgery. All I'm sure of is what I have now today. I don't know what I'll have after March and the suspense is a thriller. A partial gain of any kind is far better than no gain at all. I have to believe a combo surgery is quite near.

MERCO

There is no indication that 2.0 is going to happen anytime soon. I wonder if db cAMP and Rollipram combined with OEG will even do anything when introduced into a chronic injury? Seems like we tend to speculate about things way too much around here. It sure seems as if steriods introduced into the OEG procedure have very little effect from everything I know. The main thing Steroids help out with is preserving the nerves in an acute injury before they are actually dead.

I voted I am waiting for a procedure that will give more recovery

1)OEG plus condroitinaise plus whatever? I don't know

2)I am way scared to head off to the unknown and can't afford to pay the $ price

3) I'd rather it be an autograft than from embryonic tissue - safety/ rejection issues

I hope Dr Huang having met the Miami Project team may try some combo treatments on their advice

Wait for a procedure that can guarantee a lot of return. With decent sensation and little problems with my hands(just my left hand has issues, but it's totally functional)it will take several levels of return to make a real impact on recovery. I'll take my legs and B/B/S back though. Oh and there is that money issue...nothing is free.

Good luck Merco. You sound like you are on the right track. Get enrolled into some intense therapy post-op.

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Curt it is interesting that you mention steroid therapy after an injury to preserve the spinal cord. As a nurse I remember years ago steroids were used for a much longer length of time after an injury than they are now. It appears most surgeons believe approx. 48 hours is enough to do the job now. Like anything else in the medical field perfection makes the diference. I do think in time the combo surgery will indeed make the difference.

MERCO

Curt - Methylprednisolone cause the OEG to survive longer in the spinal cord post-transplantation.

There are several candidates for a combination. These are being worked on in several labs, including the Keck Center, which is trying to confirm results in a contusion model.

Let's hope a year is long enough to get some combinations going. The China SCI Clinical Trial Network will randomize up to 6000 persons per year. They will need several therapies to compare against the standard procedure.