Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concentrating and irritability

Concentrating and irritability

Never mind. I don't need advice here.
    Last edited by faith9778; 10-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I cannot concentrate on anything when I'm reading, studying, meeting with my mentor or listening to sermons. I hate when someone asks me what the sermon was about if there were helping with something else and didn't get to hear it. It is seriously like my mind shuts off completely and I don't know a single thing that has been said. What can I do about this to help this. This isn't a new problem but it seems like it gets worse as time goes on. It's like my brain does not absorb or retain any information at all. I also hate when I cannot find the right words to use when talking to someone on the spur of the moment. That's why I like writing as communication. I'm also not taking any medication for anything so that isn't what is causing this.

I have taken all of these college classes and do not recall hardly anything from any of them. I'm seriously thinking about not going back next semester because there is no point in it if I'm not learning anything.

I've also been very irritability lately and let a lot of things bother me that I normally won't and don't have any idea why I have been like this. Anyone else experience unusual irritability?
    You may want to talk to your primary care physician about this. He or she may prescribe medication for depression or anxiety and suggest that you do some talk therapy with a counselor.

All the best,
    GJ

On the contrary, I do think you have anxiety.

Read it over and over in a span of time ... studies show this is best for learning.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I don't feel depressed at all and don't have anxiety problems. I had some depression issues about a year ago, but I am totally over them. I am so completely happy and content with my life especially after looking back at all the blessings God has given me this past year. I also don't have anxiety. I learned a long time ago not to let things that I don't have any control over worry or bother me. So I don't want to be doped up on depression and anxiety pills that I don't need.

My biggest obstacle is that my mind wonders to anything and everything else while I am reading unless it is just something extremely interesting and when I am studying with someone or listening to someone. I fantasize a lot and I hate it. I wish I knew how to bring my mind back to the present time and focus on the here and now that is going on.

But asking my PCP about it is a good suggestion. I will try to do that whenever I see him again.
    I would second talking to your doc, it may be something along the lines of add, too.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

What are the characteristics of anxiety exactly? I view it as worrying about things that you cannot control. Being paranoids that something is going to happen that is so far fetched. Freaking out about the most mundane things. None of that fits me as of lately. I used to be like that with worrying about everything and being paranoid about things, but not anymore. I had an experience a few weeks ago that taught me to let it all go.
    good to know.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

It is seriously like my mind shuts off completely and I don't know a single thing that has been said. What can I do about this to help this?

That's why I like writing as communication.

Hi Faith,

I'd suggest taking notes. I've seen people on TV taking notes of the sermons they were listening to. Once you write something down it's easier to remember (tactile and visual vs. aural) -plus you can always go back to your notes to refresh your mind.

And you already like to write... so why not?

Have a good day.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I hated chemistry. I remember chem prof saying "Read it 10 times and it's yours." Seemed to work. I had to write, kind of organize it. Make up little acronyms to remember some things. Remember I only needed to know this until the test LOL.

My bro loved chem, all of it, was so good it was scary. It seemed like he was gaming it but he just got the basic concepts. An English paper would defeat him entirely.

Had we been 1 person w/ the best of he and I-we'd have been extraordinary!

I would agree with the others, next time your at your doctor, speak with them about the problem that has no come about. They may recommend a medication. There are many anxiety medications that are easy on your system and not once that have to build up, etc. They can be taken daily when needed. Plus there have been some amazing advancements in ADHD with no stimulant medications. (I am not diagnosing as that would take a lengthly question and answer session--not to mention several sessions)
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.