Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Races not allowing hand cranks?

Races not allowing hand cranks?

I've been emailing the folks who run the 7 mile bridge run in Marathon, FL for a few years trying to get them to allow hand cranks with no luck. They had one pushrim last year so they're definitely not doing much to attract disabled athletes. Has anyone else had any luck trying to convince races to allow them? This is the only one I've ever come across that will flat out not allow it but I would imagine there must be others as well. There's no logistical issues, it's a race completely on the road so no steps or sand or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any tips or people to contact.

In a case like that I'd almost just register as a wheelchair. If they are this ignorant chances are they won't even notice it's a handcycle.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Intl Detroit Freepress Marathon only allowed 10 disabled entries this year. It's (was) a great event --- being able to bike across the Ambassador bridge to Canada and then back across the Det-Windsor Intl Tunnel. I sense a conspiracy ! ...

Handbikes are not allowed in the Rock N Roll here in PHX every January. I learned the hard way after signing up the first time. I just push my chair.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

It must be a liability issue...it IS a bike after all?
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Wheel View Post
    Intl Detroit Freepress Marathon only allowed 10 disabled entries this year. It's (was) a great event --- being able to bike across the Ambassador bridge to Canada and then back across the Det-Windsor Intl Tunnel. I sense a conspiracy ! ...
    no conspiracy was because there was seperate group of wounded warriors. i believe there were 25 hc's or more. its a great race, my 2nd yr. good ppl running the event.
    most events cap thou, thats maily to be sure eacgh guy has support rider.

nikel, i organize 2 large marathon disabilities divisions. you have to be aggressive. its nnot a liability issue at all, its logistics. most races that wont allow hc's, cross somewhere. thats not a big deal either, the hc's have to know they will be delayed at that crossing until clear. thats the way detroit handles it.

One of our detectives runs the half Detroit one every year .. had I known I would have come down to cheer you guys on! I freak when I go over that bridge in a fricking car ... let alone with the wind in my hair. Eeesh.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Some of my gimp friends busted my balls for competing in marathons riding a handcycle. Old school thinking is that push rims are for men, handcycles are for pussies. That's the belief of the purists, anyway. No doubt, push rim is far more demanding than handcycling, but it's also a less inclusive sport.

While this thinking may have no bearing on the OP's situation, lots of people still feel this way. For example, it's only through much political maneuvering that handcycles were finally allowed into the Boston Marathon, which previously was the domain of push rim riders. There's some irony there. Bob Hall was the first person to win the wheelchair division of the Boston Marathon -- a true trailblazer. He was also vehement against the inclusion of handcycling in the event. He and Dick Traum, the president of Achilles International, battled over this for some time. Achilles won. A victory for inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Some of my gimp friends busted my balls for competing in marathons riding a handcycle. Old school thinking is that push rims are for men, handcycles are for pussies. That's the belief of the purists, anyway. No doubt, push rim is far more demanding than handcycling, but it's also a less inclusive sport.
    pushrim is a dying sport do to the stress on the shoulders many old school guys have converted to hc, i see them alot. you see about 2-3 pushrim in marathons now. except boston and new york.
    then theres the fact that by not allowing hc in events you are discriminating against high quads who can use hc's competitively but not pushrim, myself included.
    now with the bike-on quad elite force r's and more higher quads racing this is even more important.