Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 year old son about to finish rehab

5 year old son about to finish rehab

My son was in a rollover accident June 23 and we will head home to Fort Worth Texas after being at Shriners Chicago for eight weeks soon. I have so many questions, but mostly want to connect with other moms and dads taking care of their sci children. His injury is T2 complete with total use of his arms. We'll hopefully jump right into kindergarten upon returning home. I also hope to go back to work as a flight attendant (if we can find enough support while I'm gone) but not positive that is feasible. Shopping for a new car. Home under construction with a new ramp being built. Fundraising efforts underway for an FES bike. I'm exhausted but optimistic.

www.strotherstrong.com

Hate to see this happen to one so young. Have a friend who was injured at a young age well over 40 years ago. She is going strong today as a wife, mother, new grand mother, employee and all around good gal. Her injury level is also similar.

I'm 40 years post and injured at 15. The two things I'd suggest you and eventually he be most vigilant abt are skin and bowel/bladder care. He got good rehab, but the few weeks allowed now are just not enough to cover everything. I had 5 months rehab and am still learning. This site can be a valuable resource.

I point out long term survivors to show it can be done well. Hopefully the promising research currently being done will lead to vast improvements for your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Blythe716 View Post
    My son was in a rollover accident June 23 and we will head home to Fort Worth Texas after being at Shriners Chicago for eight weeks soon. I have so many questions, but mostly want to connect with other moms and dads taking care of their sci children. His injury is T2 complete with total use of his arms. We'll hopefully jump right into kindergarten upon returning home. I also hope to go back to work as a flight attendant (if we can find enough support while I'm gone) but not positive that is feasible. Shopping for a new car. Home under construction with a new ramp being built. Fundraising efforts underway for an FES bike. I'm exhausted but optimistic.

www.strotherstrong.com
    Hi Blythe, my son is T6 complete, and incurred his SCI around his 4th birthday (he is now 9). Happy to answer any questions you may have. There is a kid's equipment stickie in the equipment forum, which probably links you to the main contributors on carecure who have young SCI children. I hear good things about Shriners, so you've had a good start...now it's a case of working out the "new normal", and it looks like you've got the right attitude!
    Cheers,
    Gordon
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Wow! God bless you all. I can't imagine what you are going through. My only suggestion would be to stay on top of b&b issues as they can lead to serious problems and be aware of his skin. Kids tend to not be too concerned about cleanliness and he may not feel a sore if he is complete.
    Do everything you can to encourage nuero recovery in the early stages when connections may still be there but are too weak to notice. FES is a great start.

As a father I know it must be very tough to see your child in this situation but with your support it is possible to live an enjoyable and healthy life with sci. My prayers are with you and your son.

I would add,make sure his equipment ie,wheelchair,bed,ramps,bathroom is set up right for him,and like someone else said,watch his skin VERY carefully. I can only imagine how you feel,but he should adapt pretty fast. It won't be that hard..more of an inconvience.
    Nelson.
    C-6,complete

If there were a cure, I'd line up the young ones to get it first. I'm sorry that your son has had such an injury. You've found a good place here and I hope you find the support you need. Please let us know how you're getting along.

Blog Entries
    Be extremely careful of his back alignment in his seating as he grows, scoliosis can set in very quickly!

Agree with the above comments: skin and spine alignment areas to be vigilant of. Urinary tract infections I would add.

The key to adapting is to find a good peer support, other children in wheelchairs, staying active in sports by exposing him to other spinal cord injured individuals who have an active life and coping with living in a wheelchair.

Best wishes. I will be thinking of you, your son and your family as you move forward.

pbr

Hi Blythe, My daughter Noirin was injured as a result of a car accident at 4 and half.my son was 2. She is now 8 and doing well.IT has been a steep learning curve. She is T1 complete so very similar to your son. Thankfully pressure sores have not been a problem but scoliosis,leg fracture and chest and urinary infections have. But they are all being managed effectively. WE use FEs bike-fundraising done here and she is very acitve-swimming,horse-riding,kayaking. If you want to emAIL Or phone,i can give you my details on private messaging. You may need to get international call card as calling ireland may prove expensive especially once two mums get chatting!
    wishing you all the best, sonia.

Does anyone else put their children in boxers or underwear? He's been dry with cathing q.4 hours on ditropan. It makes him feel good about himself, but I know a neurogenic bladder can change and I'd hate to see him embarrassed by an accident when he starts kindergarten this Monday.