Thread: Dr Wise - Experience with Epidural Abscess in a young Male?

Dr Wise - Experience with Epidural Abscess in a young Male?

Dear Dr Wise.

I'm hoping you can help with some advice or direction.

My Brother was recently diagnosed with an Epidural Abscess.
    He's 20 years old, fit and healthy. He was paralysed from the chest down for circa 11 hours before surgery took place and they removed the abscess. He also had been to the toilet within 72 hrs prior to surgery.

They removed the abscess (that they could see) and T4 and T5 bones from his spine to reduced the pressure on his spine....and he is on antibiotics to fight the rest of the infection.

He is now recovering (3 weeks since the operation) and still has no feeling or function from the chest down. He has been categorised as an ASIA C due to feeling in his Anus...and also when they changed his Catheter....he felt that!

I'm wondering what the long term prognosis is or could be for him. He's now able to pull himself into a wheel chair. He does get some twitch in his toe and around his kneecap if he concentrates hard enough.

I understand this is a rare infection and even more rare in a young individual with no real reason for it taking place (No AIDS, alcoholism, prior surgery etc)

Any help with this would be great. I've scoured the internet for case studies but cannot find anything that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Worried Older Brother.

I forgot to mention...I'm often massaging his legs and feet while he is laid talking to others....every now and then I will squeeze a toe...which he feels or a muscle may feel tight as I massage.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernmonkey View Post
    Dear Dr Wise.

I'm hoping you can help with some advice or direction.

My Brother was recently diagnosed with an Epidural Abscess.
    He's 20 years old, fit and healthy. He was paralysed from the chest down for circa 11 hours before surgery took place and they removed the abscess. He also had been to the toilet within 72 hrs prior to surgery.

They removed the abscess (that they could see) and T4 and T5 bones from his spine to reduced the pressure on his spine....and he is on antibiotics to fight the rest of the infection.

He is now recovering (3 weeks since the operation) and still has no feeling or function from the chest down. He has been categorised as an ASIA C due to feeling in his Anus...and also when they changed his Catheter....he felt that!

I'm wondering what the long term prognosis is or could be for him. He's now able to pull himself into a wheel chair. He does get some twitch in his toe and around his kneecap if he concentrates hard enough.

I understand this is a rare infection and even more rare in a young individual with no real reason for it taking place (No AIDS, alcoholism, prior surgery etc)

Any help with this would be great. I've scoured the internet for case studies but cannot find anything that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Worried Older Brother.
    Older brother,

His prognosis for recovery is good. Epidural abscesses are rare in healthy people and suggest that he has a source of bacterial infection. It seldom happens except in people who are getting bacterial entry into the blood stream, including intravenous injections or an abscess elsewhere in the body that is seeding the epidural one.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Older brother,

His prognosis for recovery is good. Epidural abscesses are rare in healthy people and suggest that he has a source of bacterial infection. It seldom happens except in people who are getting bacterial entry into the blood stream, including intravenous injections or an abscess elsewhere in the body that is seeding the epidural one.

Wise.
    Thanks Wise.

They are struggling to find the cause however he had been bitten by a load of Mosquitoes and stood on a sea urchin a couple of weeks prior.

Do you have any idea on chances of full mobility, feeling and sensations? And or time scales?

I understand each case is different and that it could be a long wait.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Northernmonkey View Post
    Thanks Wise.

They are struggling to find the cause however he had been bitten by a load of Mosquitoes and stood on a sea urchin a couple of weeks prior.

Do you have any idea on chances of full mobility, feeling and sensations? And or time scales?

I understand each case is different and that it could be a long wait.

Thanks again
    His prognosis for locomotor recovery within a year is good because he has a spinal cord injury classified as ASIA C. Over 90% of people with ASIA C early after injury recover unassisted locomotion. Even though most people say a year, it may take 2 or more years for recovery to maximize. Whether the recovery is "full" or not depends on the location and severity of injury.

Wise.