Thread: Best cushion to go to?

Best cushion to go to?

Right now I'm use an ROHO Hybrid Elite but it's gotten two holes it it now and I'll patch it but I think I'm going to be resorting to another cushion. Beings as far as I know the Elite is no longer mad. What do you think is going to be the best. Please keep in mind that I have had 2 flap surgery on my coccyx due to un-attention in ICU because of other casualties & injuries. I really like the build of the Elite because of the sturdy front. Gives me a place to push off of when transferring.
    I thinking maybe a jell cushion?
    Low or mid profile and stick with ROHO but I won't have the transfer advantage.

I don't know anything about buying a specific cushion, but I went to check about buying another one today as mine has a whole in it and the velcro on the bottom is messed up, causing the cushion to slide over every time I get in it, therefore I have to get back out to rearrange the cushion so it won't rub my tires. Anyway it was going to cost $100! That is just outrageous, so I won't be getting a cushion any time soon. I need new caster bearings, but they are outrageous too and I can't find a shop that sells them around here. Just the medical place where I got my chair.

Check the places that sell the wheels for Razors. They sell bearings too. Razors are those two wheel scooters that kids and older kids zip all over the place on. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by zwthomp View Post
    Right now I'm use an ROHO Hybrid Elite but it's gotten two holes it it now and I'll patch it but I think I'm going to be resorting to another cushion. Beings as far as I know the Elite is no longer mad. What do you think is going to be the best. Please keep in mind that I have had 2 flap surgery on my coccyx due to un-attention in ICU because of other casualties & injuries. I really like the build of the Elite because of the sturdy front. Gives me a place to push off of when transferring.

Check out the Roho Nexus...basic same design as the elite but not as high of a profile. I use one now and I like it much more than the elite that I tried. The elite was too high for me and I could not keep my balance.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Roho high profile is the best, if you have it inflated correctly. Most people over inflate it. Also, if you use a roho, you need to have a good foam back up for when it goes flat.

Recently, I have been doing a lot of Matrix (Invacare) flovair's. Very good results!

Regarding bearings.... take out the "bad" bearing and go to a bearing shop and ask them to find a replacement. 25% the cost of buying from the chair manufacture.

Get your butt pressure mapped.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

zwthomp,

Your "... keep in mind that I have had 2 flap surgery on my coccyx ..." situation suggests that a dynamic cushion may be a good option for you. If a dynamic cushion's cost and/or power is prohibitive for your lifestyle, and your stated "... sturdy front ... a place to push off of when transferring ..." feature is a priority, then a fluid/gel type cushion like a J2 Deep Contour may make sense for you.

Hi zwthomp,

Please call me on Monday and I'll see what I can do to get your issue with the Hybrid Elite Cushion resolved to your satisfaction. And note that yes, the Hybrid Elite Cushion is still made and is one of the main cushions in our line of products.

Tom Borcherding
    The ROHO Group
    tomb@therohogroup.com

I have a Hybrid Elite, and it's great for weight distribution, like all rohos. On the other hand however, my positioning adjustments required a more thorough seating eval., including precise pressure mapping.

Recently I purchased a Jay Active Cushion 125 from Southwestmedical.com.

I am a Jay Active Cushion experienced customer because this is my fifth or sixth purchase of this product.

The problem is that this time I received a fluid pad that do not have the same quality I had seen in my previous Jay Active Cushion purchased.

The fluid pad this time is clearly less fluid (more rigid) than my previous ones, what is causing me disconfort while I am using the product.

Definitly they sent me this time an Jay Active Cushion where the fluid pad has problems and maybe promote lesions in my skin. So I am trying to receive another fluid pad.