Thread: Loosening tight shoulders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Loosening tight shoulders

Hi all, C4/5 complete of 19 years. Eons ago, while in outpatient therapy, I fell, fracturing my humerus near the left shoulder joint. Anyhoo, the resulting tightness and discomfort since have left me with about 70% of range. I would really like to restore my full ROM, but will trying to stretch further cause any damage? Is there anything I can do to help with regaining flexibility? Thanks

Wow. An eon is a long time. Have you consulted with anyone(dr. physical therapist, etc. I would start out with moist heat to loosen the arm up and, then I would do some stretching. A good massage therapist would be of great benefit as well. I would try not to overdo it though in the beginning. You will have tendons, ligaments, joints and, muscle tissue to deal with. Good luck. Good to see that you are not going to accept it at what it is now.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

I work out my shoulders while I am watching TV with those rubber exercise bands. I am a para so don't know if it your hand function allows it, but I find it very effective.

I second the idea of getting some professional help to get you going. I'm coming off of frozen shoulder right now and could tell you all the exercises I've been doing but I'm not sure if they'd be right for the condition you have.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I second the idea of getting some professional help to get you going. I'm coming off of frozen shoulder right now and could tell you all the exercises I've been doing but I'm not sure if they'd be right for the condition you have.
    One of these is KEY!http://www.theracane.net/Scripts/pro...p?idproduct=15
    Loosen up on a heating pad or hot shower & this lets you "get in there"
    Coming off of four days of being siezed up - I over did it last ride.

If the tightening has built up over time, please, do not go into any routine thinkingm it will be solved on day 1. You actually need to start with very simple, achievable goals and build that into a daily routine. These things may seem to you mentally a wast of time, but they are doing wonders you cannot see. When you feel you have re-established/hit the max, then you can gradually increase weight, repetition, sets, etc. This type of routine takes time. You also NEED to do it on a very CONSISTANT basis.

Saw a chiropractor for a bad shoulder of mine after a fall and he did help. Massage therapy for shoulders as well? I have a great one who's uncle is a quad but it's been a year since I've seen her.

Love, love, love the therabands as T8 recommended.

Stretching in a warm therapeutic pool might help with assistance.

If it's been eons and is not bothering you, not sure I'd fix something not broken.

I swear by glucosamine-chondriitin as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12