Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paraplegic Survives 3 Days Stranded in NM Desert

Paraplegic Survives 3 Days Stranded in NM Desert

DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

WOW...Thats crazy....The kicker in the whole story is the people THAT SAW HIM and beeped and kept going!!..... You see a guy lying on the roadside in the desert and dont stop???
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
    WOW...Thats crazy....The kicker in the whole story is the people THAT SAW HIM and beeped and kept going!!..... You see a guy lying on the roadside in the desert and dont stop???
    That was my thought too. I mean at least call 911!

LOL, a few weeks ago I was loading a big box on my cargo carrier on back of my van. Couldn't do it from chair, so I got on the ground, used my one "good" leg to push the box up the ramp.

Wow, that sounds easy. It wasn't. Point being, my bff in NM said "And ppl were DRIVING BY? Anybody that would drive by you on the ground like that is an ASSHOLE!"

Assholes everywhere. Same ones that see my dog and wheelchair sitting by the side of the road while I am IN THE DAMNED DITCH I clearly fell into while getting my mail! Just drive on by, it ain't no thing, just an old quad lady in the ditch.

I'm just amazed this guy survived. And I'm grateful for the time I got rescued by tweakers when I ran my ATV out of gas. Making that decision to start crawling is a tough call.

I have a feeling there's not much cell phone reception where this was. NM is still spotty.

Also I think this was on Navajo reservation land. 911 might not be an actual option, I googled but no comprende the governance of reservations. It's their place, not ours. It's sacred land and probably best left alone.
    Last edited by betheny; 10-24-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Hey people that do peyote in the desert do all kinds of weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Assholes everywhere. Same ones that see my dog and wheelchair sitting by the side of the road while I am IN THE DAMNED DITCH I clearly fell into while getting my mail! Just drive on by, it ain't no thing, just an old quad lady in the ditch.
    "Oh that's just Beth and Dingo out picking dandelions to make soup."

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    LOL, a few weeks ago I was loading a big box on my cargo carrier on back of my van. Couldn't do it from chair, so I got on the ground, used my one "good" leg to push the box up the ramp.

Wow, that sounds easy. It wasn't. Point being, my bff in NM said "And ppl were DRIVING BY? Anybody that would drive by you on the ground like that is an ASSHOLE!"

I'm just amazed this guy survived. And I'm grateful for the time I got rescued by tweakers when I ran my ATV out of gas. Making that decision to start crawling is a tough call.

I have a feeling there's not much cell phone reception where this was. NM is still spotty.

Also I think this was on Navajo reservation land. 911 might not be an actual option, I googled but no comprende the governance of reservations. It's their place, not ours. It's sacred land and probably best left alone.

Making the decision to crawl/scoot is a tough one to make. I was on our riding lawn mower doing my chores about a year after my accident. I was about 3 acres from the house when it ran out of gas. I yelled for a long time but no one heard me. I finally had to get myself off of the riding lawn mower and scoot backwards across 3 acres. We had 3 very large dogs. It was like scooting across land mines to avoid the big dog piles throughout the yard. I made it back to my chair in the garage and got back in. When I rolled in the house to see why the hell no one would come and save me, I found my sister in her room jamming to her "walkman" and my parents decided to step out for a bit.

I can't imagine what this guy had to go through. I was near the location that this happened a few weeks ago. We had no reception at all in that area. I think the people who dumped him off in the desert without his chair should be charged with attempted murder. So sad!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Strangely enough, NM is kind of famous for its tweakers...(Ever Watch Breaking Bad?) I bet they stay off the rez if they don't belong there though. Luckily KS tweakers are helpful!

It really bothers me, the ppl ditching him. Why was he hitching? I have a friend who is an Actual Hobo (quote from Breaking Bad, but also a true fact.) He's in Yuma AZ, I hear he's worried about me. Mikey would not have lived this long had he taken routes like 20 mi. south of Shiprock.

I understand how you get paraplegic, and how you get homeless. Some ppl don't like homes; Mike doesn't. I just don't get how you are all these things and dumped on the Navajo rez...like an unloved dog.

It is absolutely murderous. I'm consumed by curiosity.

The Navajo reservation/Shiprock/Farmington is a VERY dangerous place. People who stop get jumped by others hiding in the bushes etc. When I lived close, I was told by locals to never stop no matter what. They even put animals in the road to get people to stop. It is not your average place by far. The locals said don't run out of the road to miss a cow, hit it to knock it out of the road and keep going.

I can't understand why he would even be hitchhiking in that area to begin with unless he didn't know. Hitchhiking in itself is just way too dangerous.

If one of the passerby's had seen blood at least they could have called 911 but there are so many hoaxes there...who knows?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

There is a reason it is called "the Devil's highway".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_491

I didn't know all this until I moved back east or I certainly would not have spent so much time on that road into Farmington LOL

http://www.haunted-places-to-go.com/highway-666.html
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 10-24-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

http://www.wtsp.com/news/national/ar...lone-in-desert

More to the story. Hell, this guy LIVES on the rez! Alcohol is bad juju...but I smell drugs all over this story.