Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scared child

Scared child

Never mind. Not worth talking about.
    Last edited by faith9778; 10-29-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Better explanation

I think kids are just mesmerized by our chairs so I don't mind that they check me out.
    Now if they try and make a jungle jim out of me, that's a different story. I was waiting in line at a grocery store and the family behind us decided they'd try to make me their own personal Jugle Jim.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I agree i dont mind at all if children stare they are just curious and i love to talk to them and show them that im just like them. I think kids need to be educated early that someone in a chair is nothing bad and that everyone is different. My family members and friends have kids and they dont mind my chair at all. And from what ive been told by their parents is that they dont mind other people in chairs and are more understanding of people with disabilites after being around me. Two of them actually help kids at school that are in chairs when other kids wont becuase they are ok with it.. I can honestly say that i have never had a child affraid of me or cry when they see me.

I make funny faces with them behind their parent's backs. They love it. By the time the parents notice me, the kids and I have bonded in

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I make funny faces with them behind their parent's backs. They love it. By the time the parents notice me, the kids and I have bonded in
    You are like my husband. He likes to wink at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Now if they try and make a jungle jim out of me, that's a different story.
    Agreed! Difficult to be stern, funny and polite all at the same time! They want to pull on the back all the time or I have to remind them not to touch 'germy' tires.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Children are openly curious, and I always make it a point to smile at them when they stare - their parents often get embarrassed, but I totally get the gaping and want to let children know that it's okay to wonder what's up with my brace and forearm crutches. I would welcome the opportunity to share a reassuring word or two about the situation, but usually parents hustle the kids away. When adults stare, it's just sad...for them.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 10-25-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: sentence structure

I make a point to say hello and smile. If they have any questions I' gladly answer them

It's not that we're different, cause we are; it's all about attitude and graciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    That is the same tactic I use. Kids take their cue from us, if we project friendliness and kindness they will respond positively. If we project negativity they will react likewise.

I always smile and say hi to them when I get the stare. They usually want to make friends quickly or they shy away and it's no longer an issue. I want kids to be comfortable with me because I don't want them to grow in to idiot adults who stare and act awkward. I try to take every moment I can to let children know that it's ok to speak to us and treat us normally. It's the adults that act like that and make me upset. I have lunch at my nieces school every chance I get. Her 2nd grade class LOVES ME and MY CHAIR!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994