Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of roll-in-shower

Cost of roll-in-shower

How much does it typically cost to install a roll-in-shower in a bathroom? I live in Winnipeg Canada-are there any programs open to me that might help with the funding of such a project? Help!

Hi "Gardenia76,"and welcome to Care Cure Community.

Roll in showers like any bathroom remodeling project can go from functional and utilitarian to the sky's the limit luxury. Generally speaking prefabricated models are the least expensive and the quickest to install. Roughly speaking, pricing for basic prefab models start around $4,000/US plus labor and other materials to finish the project. Custom roll in showers with tile, granite, fixtures--how big is your wallet and your imagination.

Search the Care Cure Community site for "roll in showers". There are a number of posts about them and pictures posted my members. Continue your research by searching the internet for ideas. Consider the space you have in your existing bathroom and try to find prefab models that will work in the confines of that space. Tearing out walls and changing the size of your existing bathroom can become very expensive. Check with the funding source that may help with the expense of a roll in shower to see if there are restrictions or specifications required for the funding.

To start you off, here is a site with some basic information.
    http://www.accessible-shower-design.com/

All the best,
    GJ

I had a contractor do my roll in shower before I cam home from Rehab. We really took great pangs in making sure it would wor before we had it installed. Got home and when they sent the smallest roll in chair (that my ins would cover) it did not fit. MAKE sure that you check on the model of roll in chair BEFORE you do the remodel! It sucks transferring to a fixed chair in my shower as the transfewrs are a bit scary and not good on my already tore up behind. I will live though!!

We spent around $10,000 which included totally gutting an adjoining shower/toilet room and dressing/sink/vanity area including ripping out the separating wall, jack-hammering the existing slab, installing reinforcing framing to support a large wall-hung toilet, and installing a ceiling track lift. Custom ceiling hung shower curtain, ceiling heat lamps, and a fan were also installed. Everything (walls and floors) were ceramic tile. This was 15 years ago, and it is still in great functioning order.

(KLD)

I spent 6200.00 that included removal and install of a custom roll in shower and labor here in northwest Indiana

You may wish to consider using a trench drain or linear drain (the two terms are used synonymously in this context) as part of your roll-in shower project.

Blog Entries

I designed two roll-ins and by far it's best to use a trench drain

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    You may wish to consider using a trench drain or linear drain (the two terms are used synonymously in this context) as part of your roll-in shower project.
    from wall to wall, then I had much success using mud floors, applying Laticrete product on whole floor of bathroom (mine is on 2nd fl too), sandwiched under tile. No lead pans, vinyl sheets to rip. Cost of Laticrete with mesh $700. Great product.

http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/d...ets/DS6635.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gardenia76 View Post
    How much does it typically cost to install a roll-in-shower in a bathroom? I live in Winnipeg Canada-are there any programs open to me that might help with the funding of such a project? Help!
    You want to look into the RRAP grant. The official term is the Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program for Persons with Disabilities (RRAP — Disabilities).

I just had mine converted to a roll in shower in May 2011. It was $7000. Re-bath is who I went with because of the warranty and color options that best fit my master bathroom. We love love love ours. My parents did the same to their bathroom for when I come in town and it cost them around $10k because it was coverted from shower/tub to only a shower. They got fancy molding and doors on theirs. I love them both. Very much worth the money.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I was also able to write it off on my taxes because of the medical neccessity after having flap surgery.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994