Thread: flap surgery vs skin healing on it's own

flap surgery vs skin healing on it's own

I've battled a skin wound for a year now. Started healing it in January and it finally opened just right for me early July to be able to heal it in 6 weeks. Looked really good since mid August. Could hardly see where the wound had been.

It's located over left ischial.

Well it opened again during a weekend, car trip... that I used to be fine with but obviously not now.

I had a failed flap surgery 17 years ago and DO NOT TRUST drs, surgeons nurses...

been screwed one too many times.

IS SKIN INTEGRITY BETTER AFTER SURGERY THAN REGULAR HEALING?

I'm 99% set on healing it again myself. I know it's only able to heal to 80%, and takes a good year to mesh. I'm so tired of just existing. This is no life.

We decided to do the heal on our own route...since we could not figure out how creating a new wound to fix another one is a good thing. Our doctor said the skin would be stronger if healed on its own too...not sure if that is true...but that is what we were told.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

thx.. that's what i'm thinking.

back to sq 1...

Healed skin is a little tougher, but it depends on the condition of the wound. Ashleigh gave you good advice. I would add that you need to increase your fluid intake, calories and protein.
    I can not emphasize how important it is to stay OFF the area, and to gradually build your sitting tolerance once you are healed.

CKF