Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: There has to be a better way to cure paralysis than stem cells.

There has to be a better way to cure paralysis than stem cells.

I am all for a cure for spinal cord injury but am against the use of stem cells because it means aborting fetuses and depriving them of a chance of life. No one, except for criminals, should be deprived of life. There has to be another way. Killing kids so people can walk again is just deplorable.

Originally posted by Buffalo_Grass:

I am all for a cure for spinal cord injury but am against the use of stem cells because it means aborting fetuses and depriving them of a chance of life. No one, except for criminals, should be deprived of life. There has to be another way. Killing kids so people can walk again is just deplorable.
    Buff,
    The stem cells that will be studied are from
    IV fertilization clinics that are excess from the parents..so if not used will be destroyed.

And from your other posts..I have a question.
    If say 10% of the cells would ultimately be gay when they grow up..is it alright to use them?

Originally posted by Buffalo_Grass:

Yeah, there has to be one...The Magic Wand, maybe?...Abra, Cadabra..bum, you're cured...

Buffalo_Grass,

There is. They are called Schwann cells, bone marrow stromal cells, bone marrow menschyl cells, OEG nasal mucosa cells, neonatal (umbilical cord) cells (see Steven Edwards topic in this forum on recent South korean patent application) . . . and most importantly Gene Therapy.

At the end of the day it won't be what type of cell they are using . . . the therapy is going to be centered around the bio-engineering to get the cells to go where they need to in order to be effective.

This past election season produced a lot of hyperbole surrounding the pending miracle cure potential of ESC.

Now that the election season is past, perhaps the hyperbole can stop and discussion can turn to the real science that exists today surrounding axonal regeneration and neuronal replacement from non-embryonic sources.

What we do in life echoes in eternity. Maximus - Gladiator

Seriously, I DON'T GET IT. How is it WRONG to do ESC research but it's TOTALLY OKAY to support the death penalty? That is hypocricy at it's finest.

My advice....educate yourself about what ESC really is, then come back with this topic. Contact your local fertilization clinic and ask them what they do with the leftover embryos. Are you against fertilization clinics as well?

"DISSENT IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF PATRIOTISM" ~Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lindox:

.I have a question.
    If say 10% of the cells would ultimately be gay when they grow up..is it alright to use them?
    Okay, now that is funny. Funny, yet still a great question.

"DISSENT IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF PATRIOTISM" ~Thomas Jefferson

buff more than 2/3's of paralyzed wont need neuron replacement. the final 1/3rd will use another method without using esc. take what the looney liberals say with a pinch of salt...

Buffalo_Grass,

It's uniformed people like you that has made ESC a religious issue. For heaven's sake do a little research before you make such ignorant statements. ESC research is to be carried out on left-over FROZEN embroys THAT WILL BE THROWN AWAY - DO YOU NOT GET IT. So it's okay by you to throw away "kids" correct?

By the way, I assume by Lindox's post that you are homophobic? Don't you worry your pretty little head - homosexuality is not a disease therfore you can't catch it. Also, you certainly don't have to worry about being hit on because based on your post no self respecting gay would have anything to do with you. Again, do your homework. It is pretty much a scientific fact that being homosexual starts in the womb so if you are religious then God annoints these people just like me and poor, confused souls like you.

Deb

P.S. You do realize if Hitler ran this country you, me and homosexuals would all be gassed at the same time.

Originally posted by DA:

buff more than 2/3's of paralyzed wont need neuron replacement. the final 1/3rd will use another method without using esc. take what the looney liberals say with a pinch of salt...
    Instead of salt I know of some really nasty tasting green stuff that was used to cure paralysis..when motor neurons have been messed up. You want some?

Yours truly,
    Tree huggin..porpoise lovin..poo poo head.

Buffalo, Stem cell research does not kill kids. Are you serious when you say that? Wise.