Thread: Setting Up Tennis Chair to go faster (Quickie Matchpoint)...

Setting Up Tennis Chair to go faster (Quickie Matchpoint)...

Ok...question to all y'all tennis (and maybe basketball) players.

I have had my matchpoint about 6 months...but I'm wondering if I can make it go faster through adjusting a few things:

1. 5th anti-tip wheel. I just watched the Stephene Houdet Gold Medal match vs. Kuinida (google youtube) and it seems that their 5th wheels are always touching the ground. On my tennis chair, it is like 2" above the ground. When I do my first initial push it always rocks back and my front wheels go about 1-2" in the air until I get going.

I'm wondering if this is normal?

2. Also, I don't wear shoes when I play (just socks) and have my feet in the toe clips. I'm wondering if I adjusted my toe clips to play with shoes if the weight of that would help.

Any help/comments for faster setup would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!!!

You want the wheelie wheel to be right at the ground. You need to sit in the chair to get it exact, but you can do it by yourself if you have to.
    If you put on shoes, you are adding weight to the chair, so that could slow you down. You are also adding swing weight to the chair. Swing weight is what you are trying to move when you turn.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    You want the wheelie wheel to be right at the ground. You need to sit in the chair to get it exact, but you can do it by yourself if you have to.
    If you put on shoes, you are adding weight to the chair, so that could slow you down. You are also adding swing weight to the chair. Swing weight is what you are trying to move when you turn.
    Do you actually use that 5th wheel to "push" when u first start out? How is it used so I don't keep skidding on my first push?

Thanks again!!

Get your wheels as far forward as you can. Makes for a tighter faster turning radius and yea, get that 5th wheel down. The 5th wheels stops you from flipping backwards enabling you to put your rear wheels forward more. What's your level and how much dump have you got in the chair?

I'm a T-10 and most of my balance point is on the rear of my chair. I have the chair set up for stability side (7th slot)...I guess I should move that forward some then it sounds like..

The 5th wheel shouldn't "drag" on the ground like the other 4 wheels? Or "just" touch the ground slightly?

You definitely need to move your balance point further forward...but do it a little at a time so you get used to it.

You actually want that 5th wheel to be a tiny bit off the ground (not 2 inches). You should not be able to rock onto the 5th wheel...but it should accomodate the differences in the pavement (since nothing is 100% level). It definitely should not "drag" like the other wheels.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

There are a number of things that will affect the performance of your chair on the tennis court. An aft CG is a good first step. The goal is to get your weight over the main wheels. Next step is to get your front casters and main wheels aligned properly. Without a lengthy discussion on theory the goal is to ensure the front caster fork stems are perpendicular to the ground and your main wheels have a very small amount of toe-out (wider at the front of the chair). After these are adjusted, shim the rear caster down as close to the ground as possible without having it hang up on your court. This will need changed periodically if you play on flatter or lumpier courts.

also, run hard casters and high pressure main tires.

If you would like a little more detail on the alignment proceedure, let me know.

I appreciate the advice. I moved the wheels more forward and put the 5th wheel down.

Wow!! What a difference in turning speed laterally and I don't get that "rock" feeling when the 5th wheel was 2" off the ground.

The only thing that I didn't like was when I got going really fast (top speed), I felt unbalanced.

Before, when I had the center of mass in the 7th slot (toward stabality), it was so steady.

I guess it's give and take (I now have it in the 4th slot cheating toward turning)?

Try moving your feet, forward/back an inch or so. That can change the weight just enough.