Thread: Catheters

Catheters

I intermittent self-cath. I have used a multitude of catheters, starting with latex, moving to vinyl, back again to latex, and now back to some weird vinyl ones.

My doctor is afraid of a latex allergy, but the vinyl seem to cause more irritation. They are also harder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotmeitsyou View Post
    I intermittent self-cath. I have used a multitude of catheters, starting with latex, moving to vinyl, back again to latex, and now back to some weird vinyl ones.

My doctor is afraid of a latex allergy, but the vinyl seem to cause more irritation. They are also harder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Are they pre-lubricated or no? I have been using Coloplast Speedi-Cath. They are hydrophillic pre-lubricated catheters, they work pretty well although they are not as pliable / flexible are regular catheters that I've used. Although. I'm waiting on some samples from different manufacturers to see if there's a better suited one for me.

I have a suprapubic catheter. At the time of my suprapubic surgery, my urologist placed a Bardex Lubricious Coated Foley Catheter and that is what I have been using for over 30 months. I questioned him about other materials for the catheter, silicone and poly vinyl choride (PVC) etc., but he prefers the latex because they are softer than other materials. He is of the opinion that issues with latex allergies are overblown and says he prefers to use latex unless he is forced (by allergy problems) to use other catheters, he will stay with latex.

I am not as sanguine as my urologist regarding the possibilities of latex allergies. I have been exposed to latex for over 30 years and I guess I have been lucky, but such long term exposure does put me at a higher risk of developing this sensitivity than people who haven't had my level of exposure. The symptoms of latex allergy can run from mild to severe. The worst possible case is an episode of anaphylactic shock which would require an emergency injection of epinephrine, a trip to the emergency room, possibly oxygen and corticosteriods.

Interestingly enough, people who have allergies to latex may also be allergic to avocados, bananas, chestnuts, kiwis and passion fruits.

Mayo Clinic has an interesting article on Latex Allergies:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lat...N=risk-factors

All the best,
    GJ

No suggestions, I've tried many types and have yet to find anything that works as well as Bard's red rubber.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 10-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Call Steve at Summit Express. He has helped me in many ways.

I agree with recommendations made above. Silicone catheters are non-latex.

pbr

I use the silicone Cure Cathetors and gel packets. They are cheap (I have to pay for my own) and they are flexible and cause no irritation. I started off using a closed system by MTG and they worked great too. But they were too expensive ($5 each) once my insurance ran out. Fortunately I found that the cheapest brand they sell works great for me. I pay 73cents each plus the boxes of gel packets.

Catheter choice is very much personal preference and physician preference. Most physicians are not as firm as the one in the posting above, but they can be difficult to "move" once they find a product that they are comfortable with.

Most catheter companies and equipment companies will give you a variety of samples to try. That's a good way to see what works best for you, your function and your bladder.

CKF

The catheters are just clear tubes. I used to have vinyl ones that had a green flared end. These ones do not have anything on them, just a tube. One end is rounded the other isn't. They are stiffer, and I do not like them.

With the Bard red latex ones I was pretty nonchalant about lubing the catheter. I used lube, but I just open the pack smeared some from the tip to base and... These ones don't seem to allow the lube to coat so easy. I am not complaining it all sucks.

My only concern is the new catheters seem to be causing a bit of irritation, and I am having more than usual amount of blood on the outside of the catheter. I will talk to my doctor about it.

I know doctors get stuck on certain types, but my VA prefers giving latex and you have to fight for anything else. I know the sci-clinic had to step in to get the order approved.

I am going to ask about the silicone ones...