Thread: Cath lubrication

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cath lubrication

I have been very pleased with the RELIAMED lubrication jelly that I use for self cathing but, am unable to get anymore from my supplier. I have tried surgilube and, mckesson lub jelly. Not very thick or viscus by comparison. Anyone know of a brand that is on a par with the RELIAMED brand? I am looking for a smooth, thick, highly viscous lubricating jelly that is within a reasonable range of expense. I suspect about $3.00 for a 4 oz. tube would be a reasonable cost.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

I have not used RELIAMED. But, I understand why you don't like some of the thinner lubricating jellies. I have tried many lubricating jellies for bowel programs and for intermittent catheterization. I have found Pro Advantage by NDC. I purchase it through Express Medical (www. exmed.net)
    The details are as follows
    • Item Number: PROP903200
    • Description: Pro Advantage Lubricating Jelly 4oz tube with flip top
    • Quantity: 12-4oz tubes per box
    • Price: $23.95 approx. $2.00 per tube.
    • Shipping: Free shipping with minimum purchase of $95.00

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    I stopped using lube about 6 mos ago. I wonder if that is okay. The extra moisture was causing fissures in my skin.

Women who are pre-menopausal can often get away with skipping lubrication for cathing entirely, but it is critical that men use lubrication for every catheterization.

(KLD)

I like the UltraSeal / Invacare lubricant -- they're identical except for the packaging.
    It's thicker than the Surgilube, and it's relatively cheap.
    If you buy a box of 12, it ends up being $2.21 a tube -- and Allegro Medical (where I buy it) is almost always running a promo of some sort, either a % off or free shipping, etc.
    The link is: http://www.allegromedical.com/cathet...p-p559806.html

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    I have been very pleased with the RELIAMED lubrication jelly that I use for self cathing but, am unable to get anymore from my supplier. I have tried surgilube and, mckesson lub jelly. Not very thick or viscus by comparison. Anyone know of a brand that is on a par with the RELIAMED brand? I am looking for a smooth, thick, highly viscous lubricating jelly that is within a reasonable range of expense. I suspect about $3.00 for a 4 oz. tube would be a reasonable cost.
    It seems there would be more chance for infection if you do not use
    single 3 or 5 gram packets of lube. How can you keep the unused portion of a 4oz. tube sterile?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It seems there would be more chance for infection if you do not use
    single 3 or 5 gram packets of lube. How can you keep the unused portion of a 4oz. tube sterile?
    Most who clean cath (CIC), don't worry about sterile, just clean. As long as you use the tube to "drool" lubricant along the catheter, it is going to be clean. Touching the tip to any surface may contaminate the lubricant and tube. Yes, individual packets would be more sterile, but are also more expensive. It is a trade of of expense vs being careful not to touch the tip of the tube to anything.

All the best,
    GJ

"Personal lubricant" from Wal-Mart, found in the aisle near condoms. Less than $2/tube, water soluble. Been using it for 10+ years. Works great.

Thanks all for the input. I ended up buying the Invacare lubricant from the Allegro people. Just a couple of tubes to find out if I like it for now. Since I am not far from a Walmart, I will give their brand a try as well.

BUCKY: I use a clean technique as much as possible when I cath. I have been fortunate in that I have not had a UTI in the 4 years I have had to do my cathing.

Tarheelandy: I would never try to cath without some lubricant.

Gjnl: Thanks, I will be trying your preferred lub if the others don't work out.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.