Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetically wheelchair vs exoskeleton

Simple answer...walking is overrated.

I am watching these things as they develop and I'm pretty hopeful that they will become useful to us in everyday mobility (if our bodies can handle it). I think there is a long way to go but I think development can go relatively quickly on things like this when there is a perceived market. If the military looses interest then I'm afraid we'll be out of luck.

Aside from a reasonable price, I want to be able to walk without the crutches so I can carry something, go up and down stairs, and be able to get in and out of cars and airplanes. And, walk over uneaven ground. Is that too much to ask?

I don't think they can replace the wheelchair but supplement it? Hell, yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    I have never understood the fascination with walking if you have to use crutches. I can walk a little before I tumble but it is laborious and painful and I loose the use of my hands (with crutches). I guess I just don't get it.
    E
    Ditto, I can do so much more and much more easily using my chair than forearm crutches. I'd have given up the forearm crutches completely for the chair if it wasn't that my upper body is affected by my disability and I want to spread around the continuing damage.

I don't think I can answer the main question, since I don't have paralysis and an exoskeleton would not address my disability at all.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

It would have to be a lot better than what I've seen so far. I was using a walking stick when I fell and ended up unable to walk at all.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I have a hyperkinetic disorder..not paralysis, although I have fatasized of being paralyzed selectively in the affected muscles then using an exoskeleton to take care of the walking and everything.... But I dig it, in terms of carrying things, fatigue, use of hands, etc, a chair beats the exoskeleton necessity of forearm crutches, hands down. I think if I was paralyzed I'd optimally have, and use, both.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Dam right I would. Just think how cool it would be to have kids running up to the Robotman, instead of their folks pulling them away, like I have the plague. No more handicap parking spaces that are always full. No more wandering around looking for the ramp. No more having to be dragged up steps by my druinken friends. I could go work in the woods again. I could work on the car and trucks, without every move being a project, just to get close enough. Maybe even back to jumping.
    They are not on everybody's list but they are getting better. Rewalk, Eleggs and now Vanderbilt's model.
    http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2012/10/exoskeleton/

I hadn't seen those yet. They look pretty good. It's a good sign that there are more companies getting into this. Competition is a good thing!

Hell yes what more needs to be said? The butt sores alone are worth not haveing to sit all the time. And going from 4'6" back to my 6'4" again. Just all I can say is HELL YES.
    T6 complete

If I could use them to walk through the woods or hell even stand to piss in a toilet !!!! YES Exoskeleton

I want one more like Robocop or Ironman (especially the flying part). Otherwise they look bulky and clumsy. Besides, from what I've seen, you still have to use crutches or something. So where is the gain? Right now I think my RGO's have more style.

Of course, if they made me look handsome and muscular then I'd really want one. (It goes without saying that, in my case, the handsome part would require some sort of facial covering, like Ironman.)

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any super heroes in super chairs (Professor Xavier from X-Men not withstanding). I wonder what a super chair would look like...