Thread: Shoes?

Shoes?

Any recommmendations for shoes/boots to wear outside, that I can put on by myself? (i go barefoot in the house).

I can't lift my legs more than an inch or so off the floor and the normal "point your toe and slide your foot in" requires more control than I can manage.

Do you have use of your hands and arms? If so, my recommendation would be to look for sturdy shoes with velcro closures that open wide to allow almost the entire length of the shoe to be accessible - you can then manually lift your leg and guide your foot into the shoe. I have one functional arm/hand, and can perform this maneuver without too much trouble.

If you can't find a shoe with velcro closures, a shoe repair shop or orthotist can adapt a lace-up shoe with velcro strips and D-rings. This is what my orthotist did for me with the lace-up Keen's Presidio-model shoe, which I find to be the most stable and comfortable with my brace.

One hand/arm is weaker than the other, but both function. I think I know the kind you mean...I'll try a pair.

There's a picture of the Presidio here. The website lists it as a woman's shoe, but it's actually a unisex design. Its best feature (apart from the sturdy design) is that the tongue extends almost all the way to the toe box, allowing room to put your foot in the shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post

Yes. These are really good. My father wears these in the house, and the sole is quite rugged and you can easily wear them outside. Maybe not great in the snow though!

You will still need to bend somewhat to close the velcro. But my Dad really likes them.

Hey, Support Plus slippers look great! I'm going to order some of those. They meet all the requirements.