Thread: Is cog affected by how deep you sit into the wheels even if you keep bucket the same?

Is cog affected by how deep you sit into the wheels even if you keep bucket the same?

Hi,

Is cog affected by how deep you sit into the wheels even if you keep bucket the same eg having a 3 inch bucket but increasing the front and back seat to floor heights by the same amount eg an inch?

I currently have 26" wheels but I'm wondering if I get 25"s on a new chair, keeping the same amount of bucket and making the front and back seat to floor heights the same as my current chair will it be more tippy because I would be sitting higher than before above the hub of the wheels or less deep into the wheels to use the same description I used above?

Also will going from 26" to 25" wheels make it more tippy because the floor patch will be smaller on the 25"s?

As long as the front and rear seat-to-floor heights are the same, the COM should be roughly the same. Changes to seat depth, frame length, or frame angle could change the stability of the chair.

Does it not make the chair more tippy no matter how shallow you sit into the wheels as long as the other dimensions stay the same? I thought the higher COM was above the hub affected tippyness?

Slightly, but the difference would be negligible. If STF heights remain identical, the rear axle would be only slightly lower. You would only need to be concerned about it if your rear axle location is completely fixed and your current setup is already extremely tippy.

STF heights are what determine how high your body is above the ground. A wheelchair built with identical STF heights, but different wheel diameters has minimal impact on COM with the scenario you describe.

Thanks for the info.