Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equipment for winter weather? Snowy slopes :(

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Custom quick release ski caster attachments with Teflon bottoms and some skinny knobby tires would be nice.
    Wait a minute, do they really exist then? I've been using chairs on and off for years, and googling for a while too. But never seen nor heard of such things. I honestly thought you were talking of a dream gadget!

I'm off to search.....

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    What size knobbies are you using? I have a set of Specialized and it's like night and day compared to my Rightruns in snow and ice.
    I have tried different kinds, but I don't know the names, I know one pair was Marathon, but I have only sent them back since they are not working on 20cm og salty snow. We can't choose, we get what they have and it is impossible to buy. No shops have them and if we buy from other countries it is getting so expensive because of tax and customs.
    TH 12, 43 years post

They're just regular mountain bike tires. They work a whole lot better than wheelchair knobbies.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_on_wheels View Post
    Wait a minute, do they really exist then? I've been using chairs on and off for years, and googling for a while too. But never seen nor heard of such things. I honestly thought you were talking of a dream gadget!

I'm off to search.....
    I don't know if they do, that was just something that quickly came to mind, that I thought might work and would be pretty cool.

Question Where did you get those tyres? And what size are they?

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    They're just regular mountain bike tires. They work a whole lot better than wheelchair knobbies.

Hi ''Lazierdog'', thanks for posting

Where did you get them from? And what size chair wheel are they for?

Been looking for a pair like that!
    But I couldn't find them in 24 or 25 inch.

Hope they're not too expensive. <Nod to ''European Woman'' >....Tell me about it! Over 50 quid £ for a pair of Marathon Evo Plus! I never spent that kind of money for mountain bike tyres!

Re-bike stuff being cheaper
    . I often think..... ''I must find a way to get as many bike size parts on my chair as possible! I'm sick of being ripped off for wheelchair stuff!''

Wink

I don't know if they do, that was just something that quickly came to mind, that I thought might work and would be pretty cool.
    Oh ok! I dunno why I got the impression they did exist? Too tired to remember now.... But yeah, too right they would be so cool if they existed and worked well!

Actually......that's given me an idea....Something very simple that I might be able to make myself..............Nice one ''Destination U''

Smile

Oh ok! I dunno why I got the impression they did exist? Too tired to remember now.... But yeah, too right they would be so cool if they existed and worked well!

Actually......that's given me an idea....Something very simple that I might be able to make myself..............Nice one ''Destination U''
    Thanks, I'd love to hear your idea.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    using good/smooth strokes with good form when pushing will help more than anything. Tread doesn't really seem to help going in snow any better than using Right Runs. Aa effective push is what really counts. However, the knobby does seem to help a little in stopping when going downhill since they will collect a little snow pile in them and give a little resistance to slippery surfaces, but any tire will have get full of snow, so control on a slippery downhill can still be challenging at times.
    The freewheel will make it easier to go through the snow, but will do nothing for controlling speed going downhill.
    those caster skis are nothing new, many have offered those and they never catch on. I don't see that they do anything but plant in the snow and it's just as bad as your caster being stuck in a pile of snow.
    Thanks for the reply Some really helpful advice there.
    So caster skis -do- exist. But you think they're no good? Dang :/

Lightbulb

Thanks, I'd love to hear your idea.
    Oh it's nothing really :/ ! I just remembered that last time it snowed, lots of local people used the lids of our council supplied recycling boxes as sleds.
    I think they're about the right size and shape to fit the castor wheels into, and so form a sort of ski on the front.

Might be possible to then sled down the slope, though unsure if steering would be possible :/ !

I know someone said caster skis do exist but don't work. But Im thinking maybe a box lid would work cos it'd be quite a bit bigger than skis? Just one big platform sorta thing.

(If I was well enough I'd search for some willing design students or DIY guy and ask them to help make something. But most days I've not enough energy to even eat enough or fix my chair brakes, so just gotta do what I can with what I have.)
    Last edited by Bear_on_wheels; 10-27-2012 at 06:44 AM.

So caster skis -do- exist. But you think they're no good? Dang :/
    From previous discussion on this forum:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=184980

(KLD)